Free styrofoam for insulated boxes

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just wanted to share a source of free styrofoam for making your own insultated shipping containers. Your local seafood store/department! We get most of our fish in in styrofoam containers. The department I work in (and I imagine others), ends up with so many of these that they are just throwing them away. It should just be a matter of asking. There may be an odour in the box but a couple hours soak with some hot water and a squirt of dish soap takes care of that.
Also, pet shops with a fish department often end up with lots of extra foam containers from their live animal shipments.
These foam containers are very dense and perfect for insulation.
If this is common knowledge I apologize for the repetition, but I found it very useful and economical. They are very easy to cut to the right shape. A box cutter works very well.
Mackenzie

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great info!What I do is go to Home Depot,and but a 4by8 sheet 3/4 inch foam. it is like $6,and works pretty darn well.Not quite FREE,but cheap at least.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's a great idea. My favorite method would be to just order a new T and use the one it came in..."Honey, I need styrofoam..what T should I order...?"

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's a great idea. My favorite method would be to just order a new T and use the one it came in..."Honey, I need styrofoam..what T should I order...?"
That's why I've saved all of my order boxes.

To the OP: Thanks for the suggestion this will come in handy once my breeding projects start coming to fruition.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great info!What I do is go to Home Depot,and but a 4by8 sheet 3/4 inch foam. it is like $6,and works pretty darn well.Not quite FREE,but cheap at least.

Yeah. I did that to make foam backgrounds.
Turns out, I don't actually like how they look, and now I have a LOT of styrofoam.:mad:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah. I did that to make foam backgrounds.
Turns out, I don't actually like how they look, and now I have a LOT of styrofoam.:mad:
Hey,look at it this way...You can make your own insulated boxes now if you do a lot of shipping...

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Then better start! LOL! ;P

I know, get a breeding pair of Lasiodora and breed them. You'll be shipping off spiderlings for a whiiiile...
Nah. I'd just leave the sac alone, not feed them, and name the one that emerged "King of the Ring.";P

EDIT: No! Highlander! There can be only one!