Free Petco Pamphlets

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I just stepped into my local Petco and found these free safety pamphlets about invertebrates, and thought you all may want to see them if you haven’t already.

I must say, after the mess about a year ago with selling slings, and the constant piss poor care when it comes to tarantulas, I’m shocked to find a pamphlet like this with half decent information. However, it’s definitely got some issues that I want to note.

The fact that it recommends as infrequent handling as possible I commend. It’s a very “don’t handle them” stance, without being confrontational. I do not like however, that it changes the use of the word handling as it goes through, at first saying sometimes you’ll have to handle (which is false) and then later goes on to say the best way to do so is essentially with a catch cup. It seems to me that in some places it uses handling in the traditional sense, and in others uses it as a “to mess/deal with” rather than a to pick up in your hands.

I don’t like that they do not include anything about the safety of the animal. For a pets are family kind of place, everything seems to be geared towards the owner so petco doesn’t get chewed out...

I also think the section about seeking medical help for every incident with urticating hairs is a little bit ridiculous, but I appreciate the inclusion about allergic reactions.

I also appreciate the mentions of threat posture and avoiding provoking a cornered spider.

All in all I think it’s a step in the right direction, but mostly a cover our butts kind of pamphlet so they don’t get sued.

Now if they can actually get their care right... then maybe they’d be on the road to redemption.

Attachments