Free acrylic.... so a new enclosure.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
First off, NO I'm not giving away acrylic, I'm weird not stupid.
Neighbor brought over a piece that he didn't need, asked if I wanted it. "Heck yes! I can build another enclosure out of that. Thanks so very much." He has been in my invert room many times and enjoys looking at the different species I keep.
So, the size was 24"X42" with 2 very rough edges. I spent about 1 hour in the garage cutting and drilling the pieces for assembly. I used a different epoxy, 1st time, that sets VERY quickly and cures in 4 hours (commercial grade). I got a little sloppy applying in a couple areas but the resident won't care. Lol!
Finished measures 10.5"X10.5"X18" and weighs 70 ounces. Now to build at least 4 more, same size, for upcoming pokie rehousings. When will it ever end? :banghead: :rolleyes:

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
First off, NO I'm not giving away acrylic,
I don't need that acrylic, but I feel bad that you are accumulating so many containers. Let me know when you are giving away T containers ;) Nice weight on that one!

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I don't need that acrylic, but I feel bad that you are accumulating so many containers. Let me know when you are giving away T containers ;) Nice weight on that one!
Lol!
Don't feel bad, I always have something needing a larger enclosure, they don't stay empty for very long. Besides, there's still plenty of room for large enclosures. :) Its self gratifying building them, especially now with the cold temps upon us.
Although I've slowed down buying slings, moving into scorpions, still enjoy the Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus species.
Pic of enclosure, needing an occupant and water dish.
Used the last large piece of cork I had for this one. Have a reptile show the 17th, adding cork to the shopping list.

Attachments

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lol!
Don't feel bad, I always have something needing a larger enclosure, they don't stay empty for very long. Besides, there's still plenty of room for large enclosures. :) Its self gratifying building them, especially now with the cold temps upon us.
Although I've slowed down buying slings, moving into scorpions, still enjoy the Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus species.
Pic of enclosure, needing an occupant and water dish.
Used the last large piece of cork I had for this one. Have a reptile show the 17th, adding cork to the shopping list.
Very nice looking enclosures.

What epoxy did you use? Does it dry clear?

Also, love the collection of molts in the background. ;)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Very nice looking enclosures.

What epoxy did you use? Does it dry clear?

Also, love the collection of molts in the background. ;)
Thank you. I enjoy making them.
I won't use this particular epoxy, Devcon, on large enclosures again. Sets up entirely too fast, but wanted to try it anyway. Claims a 4800 psi strength, when cured has a faint white appearance, not truly clear like Weld On bonder. I use and recommend Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder, available at most DIY centers, $4 for .85 oz. Again, this epoxy, when cured has an opaque appearance. Loctite comes in 3 set times, I use the 20 minute type. Its the quickest and the parts are given an hour in the jig before I attach another piece.
Yeah, molts are a fraction of the ones I have. I give them to a guy that mounts them in beatiful display cases. Normally they're thrown away once the sex is determined. Guessing this Saturday he's going to receive 30 or so to deal with. Lol!

Attachments

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you. I enjoy making them.
I won't use this particular epoxy, Devcon, on large enclosures again. Sets up entirely too fast, but wanted to try it anyway. Claims a 4800 psi strength, when cured has a faint white appearance, not truly clear like Weld On bonder. I use and recommend Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder, available at most DIY centers, $4 for .85 oz. Again, this epoxy, when cured has an opaque appearance. Loctite comes in 3 set times, I use the 20 minute type. Its the quickest and the parts are given an hour in the jig before I attach another piece.
Yeah, molts are a fraction of the ones I have. I give them to a guy that mounts them in beatiful display cases. Normally they're thrown away once the sex is determined. Guessing this Saturday he's going to receive 30 or so to deal with. Lol!
Have you ever considered UV curing epoxy? It's a bit outside my experience, but I was wondering if I should bother looking into it.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Have you ever considered UV curing epoxy? It's a bit outside my experience, but I was wondering if I should bother looking into it.
If you have the $$$, try it, might be faster to apply, idk.
The Loctite will do five 12"X12"X18" enclosures, applied on all the mating surfaces, I've done this.
Although my corners aren't crystal clear, the occupants don't seem to mind. These aren't what most consider "display quality" enclosures. They want "perfect" edges, rightly so, they pay a hefty price. I've seen a few, what's considered "large", and chocked on the price they paid. Mine do what's expected of an enclosure and I like the look.
I believe just about anyone can fabricate their own enclosures. There are sites that will cut the acrylic to your specs and ship it. Simply use Weld On #3 or #4 and in an hour or so have an enclosure. I would advise drilling or inserting vent holes prior to assembly. I looked at the cost, including shipping, and decided the less expensive route was buy a full sheet and cut it myself.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Hm, the main advantage I see would be cure time. Henkel/Loctite has numerous options suitable for plastics. There's one that's used often on the lines at my work (and that I've used successfully for building acrylic fixtures) but I'll have to go check which Loctite it is. Initial cost and maintenance are disadvantages but maintenance may not be an issue for you if you aren't using it ten hours a day continuously, as our operators do.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Do you have this guy's contact info? I'd be interested in something like that.
I don't have his business card, nor recall the company name. Either he or his partner is at every show. Next is January 21st, if I remember I'll pick one up and post the info. They also do many insects, even had a brown bat on display this month. I was shown a necklace that had a bronzed cicada attached, very unique looking.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I don't have his business card, nor recall the company name. Either he or his partner is at every show. Next is January 21st, if I remember I'll pick one up and post the info. They also do many insects, even had a brown bat on display this month. I was shown a necklace that had a bronzed cicada attached, very unique looking.
Im in Michigan, so not far from you. What show are you talking about? Like an expo? I want to find one and go to one just to see what they are all about. I'd be willing to drive a few hours.

Right now I have a very pretty butterfly that's mounted and in a frame. I've been looking to add more like it to my wall.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Im in Michigan, so not far from you. What show are you talking about? Like an expo? I want to find one and go to one just to see what they are all about. I'd be willing to drive a few hours.

Right now I have a very pretty butterfly that's mounted and in a frame. I've been looking to add more like it to my wall.
You would have loved an 11"X14" butterfly display at the table. Had 5, various sized, iridescent blue ones and a $80 price. There were Monarchs and Swallowtails, but were single specimen, so smaller sized.
Ohio has 2-3 shows every month, Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati. There is a group that comes to the Columbus show, from Michigan, each month. Mostly lizards, a few common snake species along with a variety of T slings. I made a great "bundle" deal on some pokie slings in August, the breeder was in attendance at the time. Never asked where in Michigan they're from, just know its Michigan.
In Columbus, its the All Ohio Reptile Show and has a web site. Cincinnati is the Cin City Reptile show and in Fairfield Ohio. Name is a bit misleading, a lot of Kentucky vendors attend this one. Haven't been to a Cleveland show lately, 3 maybe 4 years since last time, but had a large turn out of vendors.
I advise have cash, money talks, and CC are taxed.
Do a search, I'm sure Michigan has shows. Might not be monthly, but worth the effort to check out.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Do a search, I'm sure Michigan has shows. Might not be monthly, but worth the effort to check out.
I Google searched Michigan expos and found there are monthly expos within a very reasonable distance of where I live. I'll be checking out the January show.