Freak Question but one for the insectology knowedged (Dying Geriatric Mantis)

Mike Page

Arachnopeon
My almost 2yr Dead Leaf Mantis is passing. I am very heartbroken. Oddly, she has been in this state for days and seems to try and wake up when I blow on her or even rub her abdomen. At this stage, I am willing to try my luck and see. I have needles and syringes and I wish to try and give her electrolytes/saline intravenously. Where should the spot of injection be on their body? My knowledge of Invertebrates is limited and there does not seem to be much info out there. This question is targeted at people who have good knowledge of the anatomy of mantids and invertebrates.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Don’t inject anything into your mantis, you can try and get a little honey onto the pin of a needle and dip it in water to dilute it a bit and allow it to injest the fluid and repeat as water is depleted if dehydrated I would do this when I got new shipments in. But you are not going to be able to beat its evolutionary life cycle, mantids are not long lived at at two years it’s likely coming to the end of that period. Might be hard to loose it but you can’t play god by injecting solution into it. Love it for the time you had with it and let it pass as it is destined to do at the end of its life. Might not be what you want to hear but for the love of goodness don’t stick a needle into it!

Mike Page

Arachnopeon
Nothing wrong with fighting to save your beloved pets life. I am sure god would appreciate that.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
the intention is good but things have a life cycle and you can’t beat Mother Nature. Everything that lives must eventually die, sorry for your upcoming loss.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Nothing wrong with fighting to save your beloved pets life. I am sure god would appreciate that.
That’s not the point, he means that in this situation it is basically useless to do that, because it would die soon even if you helped it. Not that it’s wrong to try to help.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
If it is/were to die, would that not be God's will?
Speaking theologically, it was never God’s will to have any living animal or person die. Death was the result/punishment for the fall of mankind. (This is never explicitly mentioned, aside from mankind. But it is heavily implied.)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Dumbfounding. A simple biological phenomenon question transposed into extraordinaly preposterous anti-scientific nonsense. Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and god is picking on your mantis or it's biological clock is running out and cells are doing their normal cells thing faster than the biological functions can replace them.
Yo, gawd! Seriously defective workmanship. Everything you made is burning out or falling apart. Consider firing yourself. And BTW, you took the seventh day off several billion years before our sun and this ball of dirt brought days into existence. Slacking?

Last edited:

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Dumbfounding. A simple biological phenomenon question transposed into extraordinaly preposterous anti-scientific nonsense. Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and god is picking on your mantis or it's biological clock is running out and cells are doing their normal cells thing faster than the biological functions can replace them.
Yo, gawd! Seriously defective workmanship. Everything you made is burning out or falling apart. Consider firing yourself. And BTW, you took the seventh day off several billion years before our sun and this ball of dirt brought days into existence. Slacking?