Four months worth in Panama

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I went to Panama for four months to study. Lets begin with my research subjects: Amblypygids. They are Phrynus gervaisii and Parphrynus laevifrons

3 As an interesting note on this one, examples of predation upon amblys in the the wild are rare. That I know of, only one other by a scorpion, and one other by a uakari have been seen and these might be the first pictures. The scorpion was identified to Diomedes Quintero as a Tityus pachyurus. The ambly is a P. gervaisii.

Last edited:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Arachnids

Start with tarantulas and then go into other arachnids
Sericopelma sp.

Ami bladsei

Other arachnids

Opisthacanthus elatus

Last edited:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please make comments, I will add more pics when on a second page so I don't kill your scroll down. Remaining Categories include Insects and misc, reptiles, amphibians, bats, birds, flora, monkeys, sloths, other mammals, and scenery.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
awesome pics of some very cool stuff that i've never seen before.

that black scorpion 2 pics below the 1 of the pseudoscorpion...is awesome

moose

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow! That's some awesome looking animals! I especially like the true spiders :D Could spot one Phoneutria sp. and one female Cupiennius salei there (number 3 and 4 below Opisthacanthus elatus), but the rest I couldn't really identify...

Oh, number 6 from the bottom seems to be a Cupiennius sp. aswell, but not one of the species that are common in the hobby (salei, getazi and coccineus).
And the one directly above Opisthacanthus elatus looks like a juvenile Cupiennius sp.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I love the pics. Thanks. I'm considering a trip to Panama soon with my wife. I visited the far western side many years ago and I'd like to take a trip to the eastern side. What area were you in? I'm looking forward to more of your pics. :)

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That must have been 1 great trip.Your pictures look like thay were taken by
a professional.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
holy smokes!

i'll comment on other pics later but what i really want to know is in your first post, the two pics that are 3rd and 4th from the bottom... is that an opiliones harvestman!? that thing is HUGE if it is... and wicked looking whatever it is

awesome stuff, man!

(and also, i have to comment on a slightly more personal nature... don't you find long fingernails really handy for collecting? i can pick up small bugs with them, scoop up even smaller, i can dig through fairly hard dirt with 'em, etc)

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most of my pictures were taken on Isla Colon in Bocas del Toro. Other places visited were Panama City, the Darien, San Blas, a small town near the Quetzal train in the mountains, a desert near Santiago, and San Isidro, Costa Rica. Besides Colon, most pics from other places came from Panama City. There are really cool nearby places like Ancon Hill which I believe is in city limits, and in Gamboa there is the Pipeline trail.

The camera I used is a Nikon Coolpix 4800 ED. I was very frustrated at times because it does not have a manual option. I eventually figured out I could adjust white balance so later pictures aren't as washed out.

Loudog, where do you live?

I would love people trying to figure out these species if you want :)

cacoseraph- Yes, those are opilione harvestmen. I was told they were not common, but I found them to be quite a common sight. I was doing my work at night and so I had a lot of exposure to crawlies at that time. I saw one or two pretty much every night. Really cool guys. They are HUGE. Scoopability is only one great feature of long fingernails. Also scratching yourself. mmm.

I should note that i found the pseudoscorp when I was marking trees and I looked at my forearm and thought I had cleft a very small scorpion in two. Then it moved and I was happy to see it was a pseudo and not a bloody murder.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your pictures are unreal, I can't get over that opilione harvestman :eek:

So very cool, thank you for sharing those!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
:clap: Amazing photos!You found some crazy stuff there it seems!

Loudog760

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most of my pictures were taken on Isla Colon in Bocas del Toro. Other places visited were Panama City, the Darien, San Blas, a small town near the Quetzal train in the mountains, a desert near Santiago, and San Isidro, Costa Rica. Besides Colon, most pics from other places came from Panama City. There are really cool nearby places like Ancon Hill which I believe is in city limits, and in Gamboa there is the Pipeline trail.

The camera I used is a Nikon Coolpix 4800 ED. I was very frustrated at times because it does not have a manual option. I eventually figured out I could adjust white balance so later pictures aren't as washed out.

Loudog, where do you live?

I would love people trying to figure out these species if you want :)

cacoseraph- Yes, those are opilione harvestmen. I was told they were not common, but I found them to be quite a common sight. I was doing my work at night and so I had a lot of exposure to crawlies at that time. I saw one or two pretty much every night. Really cool guys. They are HUGE. Scoopability is only one great feature of long fingernails. Also scratching yourself. mmm.

I should note that i found the pseudoscorp when I was marking trees and I looked at my forearm and thought I had cleft a very small scorpion in two. Then it moved and I was happy to see it was a pseudo and not a bloody murder.
I live in California but almost all my family lives there and mom goes down to visit every few years. She went with my sister this past summer. I missed out to lol.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All right, enough post so I'm gonna put up the next Set!
Invertebrates and Misc animals. There are lots in this one, so it will be the only one til the next page.

17 This is a caterpillar!

20 An example of trails leafcutters carve

22 Live crabs being sold

23 Cave crickets

24 Lotsa leafcutter sizes

27 Not sure what this is: it is like a caterpillar with a slug head

30 Crab eye

40 This isn't a B. giganteus subadult is it, but it was almost as huge!

44 Seriously, no flash

73 Bullet Ants!

78 hah

81 Now THIS is a B. giganteus. A male. He fell from the ceiling and I thought it was a bat or something before I saw it

84 Now this is kinda funny. This guy had his eyes up and then when i picked him up the eyes went more horizontal into "angry" eyes. When I put him back down the eyes stalks popped vertical again.

Last edited:

lukatsi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
#27 is a velvet worm (Onychophoran)! I find them very interesting. But what are those on #33?
I'm mainly a beetle fan, but these katydids, leafhoppers and crabs are awesome! Not to mention whip scorpions.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
#33 is some sort of millipede, I think a Platydesmus sp.
Thanks for the velvet worm id.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
freaking amazing! i'm like, overloaded on buggy goodness now!

71 is maybe a flatworm