Fountain ok for arboreal set-up?

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I came across this table top fountain and thought, "wow that would be cool if you could incorporate it into an arboreal set-up." Don't know if that would work or not. What's you thoughts?

Rock Stone LED Indoor Table Top Water Fountain

Take a look at this beautiful rock stone LED light indoor table top water fountain. The water comes out of the top layer of the rock stone and travel gently downward into second tiers by making a small water fall, then making its pathway through the tree trunk and down into the base. It very simple outlook but yet unique design. Bring a piece of nature into your home. Great indoor decoration for inside your home.

Fountain details:

* Item# OH97136

* Water pump included

* Unique design Look

* LED LIGHT

* 7'' Width X 5.5'' Length X 11'' Height (Inches)

* UL Recognized Electric Plug

Last edited:

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I think I've seen people try it... Problems: where does the plug or cord go? Could the T burrow under it? Behind it? Crickets will drown in it.

While it might work out, it's not something I personally will try.

Marga

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well as long as you have an acrylic cage you can put a thru hole in the back for the cord. As far as the crickets...yes they might drown , but crickets can drown in any water dish as well.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

As far as the t going under or behind it I would make sure all those possible access points were sealed with extra cork bark or something.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I've had the same thought. Would be pretty neat for an adult arboreal, preferably with the backside facing the enclosure's opening for easy maintenance. I wonder if the vibrations from the pump would be too much of a stressor for the animal, though?

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think that's a great idea. It really adds a lot to your enclosure in looks and pet happiness. I had a setup with a waterfall in my chameleon tank. If you don't mind putting holes in your tank you can even buy a waterfall that's designed for going inside enclosures. Some of the better ones have external pumps and will connect to your hygrometer and be set to turn on and off by its self. I think I'm going to set one up with my T.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that's a great idea. It really adds a lot to your enclosure in looks and pet happiness. I had a setup with a waterfall in my chameleon tank. If you don't mind putting holes in your tank you can even buy a waterfall that's designed for going inside enclosures. Some of the better ones have external pumps and will connect to your hygrometer and be set to turn on and off by its self. I think I'm going to set one up with my T.
Looks yes, pet happiness no.

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks yes, pet happiness no.
Why's that? Once the pump is out of the picture motor vibrations wouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure how T's would feel about it so I'd like to here more. Seems like they would like running water. At least the jungle ones anyways.

My chameleon loved it. Used to sit under the waterfall like it was taking a shower.

Cheers

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One problem, especially with Ts that require higher humidity, is that the jack(or whatever you call it) for the power cable might rust, or get wet.
Also, the vibrations could stress the heck out of the animal.

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea I think they have a good point. If your going to put a waterfall in you'd prob want to get one with an external pump for sure. That way your T won't be bothered by the pump and you wouldn't have to worrie about electrical wires going in where all the humidity is since the pump isn't in the tank. You would only have water lines going in.

They will give a nice boost to your humidity as well.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm really glad I posted this cause I knew you guys would come up with good reasons for maybe NOT doing it that I didn't think of. I hated to find out the hard way that it wasn't a good idea. Like I never gave the motor vibration a thought. I have a small table fountain and it doesn't vibrate much at all, but it might be too much for a T since they are so sensitive to that. The main idea I liked it was I thought it was a good way to keep humidity up without misting plus I thought it would look really cool. It seems at this time there is too many possible issues so I probably won't do it.

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea I feel you on that one. At one point I was playing with the idea of making a coffee table into a terrestrial T habitat. Sounds like a really cool idea but it would take a lot of effort and planning to get it setup so that the T isn't being disturbed by being used as a coffee table. I ended up deciding against it because I couldn't think of an economical way to get the visual i wanted and still keep a T happy.

As for the waterfall though I don't think it would take much effort.