Found some giant millipedes in So CA!I.D. and care tips anyone?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I went to this place where i usually find scorpions(at night) during the day today just to hike and maybe see some reptiles.I lifted up a huge fallen log and found a bunch of millipedes!I found about 50 under only 5 logs,and ended up keeping around 15.I'm super excited.Anyone know what species?Also,any care and breeding tips.I just have them in the medium exo terra flat dome KK with about 2 inches of dirt,and 2 inches of leaf litter.I put a couple little pieces of decaying log in there too.How do I sex them?I'm sure Andrew will see this and enlighten me,but anyone else's help is still greatly appreciate this.Here's the pictures of the smallest and largest ones i found.The smallest is about 1.75",and the largest is a little over 4".Thanks for looking!

Here's the smallest:

And the largest:

Such gentle creepy crawlies!

And here's the setup I've got going for now:

Thanks for looking!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
It's hard to make out much from the pics but by shape and location I'd bet Hiltonius sp.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how would i sex them?i counted 19 total that i collected.we found 50+ under 5 logs,so I think i kept a good number.i really want to breed them.does my cage setup look good?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been doing some research,and have concluded that according to range,color,size,and the fact that they have 2 legs per segment,they are most similar to hitonius pulchrus.what you do think elytra,or anyone else.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
except they(if male) should be "missing" a pair about seven (per side down) there which is where the male sex organs are.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I believe I was told by Ken the bug guy that males are pretty rare compared to females in the wild.is this true?thanks!

Bug Boy Wonder

Arachnopeon
Hiltonius pulchrus.
Found one of these little guys cruzin the trail with us the other night.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
I went to this place where i usually find scorpions(at night) during the day today just to hike and maybe see some reptiles.I lifted up a huge fallen log and found a bunch of millipedes!I found about 50 under only 5 logs,and ended up keeping around 15.I'm super excited.Anyone know what species?Also,any care and breeding tips.I just have them in the medium exo terra flat dome KK with about 2 inches of dirt,and 2 inches of leaf litter.I put a couple little pieces of decaying log in there too.How do I sex them?I'm sure Andrew will see this and enlighten me,but anyone else's help is still greatly appreciate this.Here's the pictures of the smallest and largest ones i found.The smallest is about 1.75",and the largest is a little over 4".Thanks for looking!

Here's the smallest:

And the largest:

Such gentle creepy crawlies!

And here's the setup I've got going for now:

Thanks for looking!
I'm in so cal and am very curious as to the locale you found these guys??? Very very cool find!!! i wish you luck!

Bug Boy Wonder

Arachnopeon
I'm in so cal and am very curious as to the locale you found these guys??? Very very cool find!!! i wish you luck!
Pretty much any oak grove wooded area, personal spots I've seen them:
Malibu creek park, whiting ranch, and a couple other oak wood areas in the north San Fernando Valley and Thousand Oaks area. I know I'm not the OP but just thought I'd share.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
Pretty much any oak grove wooded area, personal spots I've seen them:
Malibu creek park, whiting ranch, and a couple other oak wood areas in the north San Fernando Valley and Thousand Oaks area. I know I'm not the OP but just thought I'd share.
Thank you for sharing!