Found some big Hognas! Pics

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Checked out a sandy pine plain area yesterday just before dusk and into the evening and found quite a few male wolf spiders out and about. I walked along a couple of sand roads that branched off another road, one north and and one south. While I had daylight, I walked the road on the north side and found one possible h. baltimoriana burrow. As it got dark, the spiders started to appear. What I believe to be h. baltimoriana were abundant on both sides, from juveniles to adults. On the north side, I also found these:

Hoping for an ID here. I collected two and both are roughly the same size. It's diagonal leg span is roughly 2.25". I saw multiple individuals but they were not abundant.

On the south side road I found what I believe to be h. carolinensis, but I'm not positive. Here are 2 individuals:

hogna 1

hogna 2

I collected 3 of these. Two are comparable in size with one being slightly larger, and a third seems to be be slightly smaller than the others. Diagonal leg span of the larger one is between 2.25"-2.50". Notice that these have a completely black ventral abdomen as opposed to the pattern on the first spiders abdomen which was present in every individual I observed. Is the first spider pictured h. lenta?

Can't wait to explore this location further.

Thanks!

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looking around on bugguide, I'm starting to think that the first one might be some kind of geolycosa

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice to see some big wolves! I would buy the lenta ID. The carolinensis ID for the last 6 pics. jet black ventrally, orange-ish/yellowish chelicerae. see what the other folks think. you can post them on bugguide as well. still a good month or so left of good hunting. post more if you find them.

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some pictures of the larger male. Diagonal leg span is 6 cm not fully stretched out, body length is 19 mm. Was going to take a ventral pic but the batteries died. The pictures are darker than I would have liked them to be, but his abdomen is a bit more orange than the two pictured above. This was the first of these spiders that I found. He had very recently captured a large field cricket, which I let him keep.

TheTyro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I ever go back to NJ, I am totally going where you go to find spiders. You find rediculously cool specimens. :drool:

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If I ever go back to NJ, I am totally going where you go to find spiders. You find rediculously cool specimens. :drool:
I'm psyched to have found a spot with carolinensis (hopefully.) I reaaaally want to find a large female in its burrow.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Congrats on the beautiful Hogna carolinensis spidiies! We were almost positive that was the ID to the little fella from the previous thread. Great new pictures and find. :clap:

We will send you links with more information on the species tomorrow!

spider pest

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the 1st spider pictured in this thread is a geolycosa of some type. The largest of the carolinas molted a couple days ago. Pics soon!

davisfam

Arachnoknight
We found a geolycosa today in the same type of area except we're located in Central Florida although our little fella is also gray in color with many similar markings as the spider in the first picture. We have still yet to find out it's species but I'll get back to you once we do. Also, I'll be posting a thread to get an I.D. hopefully! =)