Found some beetle larvae in my yard, can i feed them to my scorpion?

Ginron

Arachnosquire
So i have been doing some gardening and i came across a few beetle larvae that seem like they could make a nice meal for my asian forest scorpion. Any reason not to use them?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
So i have been doing some gardening and i came across a few beetle larvae that seem like they could make a nice meal for my asian forest scorpion. Any reason not to use them?
Never, EVER feed WC prey. It could have parasites, been exposed to pesticides, or worse.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
The best you could do (like if you're really really cheap lol) is let them mature, breed them, rinse & repeat, and then maybe trust the 5th generation to be safe. And that would be way more work than I would be willing to do for free feeders.
I have heard of folks using this method but I've never tried it.
At this point, do you even know what you've got?

Ginron

Arachnosquire
Never, EVER feed WC prey. It could have parasites, been exposed to pesticides, or worse.
Well I'm pretty sure they haven't been exposed to pesticides since I never use them in my garden and larvae don't really move around. The parasites are a concern though...

Ginron

Arachnosquire
The best you could do (like if you're really really cheap lol) is let them mature, breed them, rinse & repeat, and then maybe trust the 5th generation to be safe. And that would be way more work than I would be willing to do for free feeders.
I have heard of folks using this method but I've never tried it.
At this point, do you even know what you've got?
Yeah I'm not trying to be cheap lol, just wanted to know if they could be used as a treat for my scorpion. I will refrain from using them.

Shawnee

Arachnosquire
I have 2.5 acres and don't treat the yard with any pesticides, but even then I still wouldn't use wild caught feeders because of parasites. Thank you for asking on the forum before just feeding them to your scorps, that was very smart of you!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
To me, it's just not a safe bet. You never know what the bugs are exposed to, and it's not worth a dead scorp. I would just go to the store and buy 50 crickets for 5 bucks and make your own colony :D much safer that way.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I fed 1 WC bottle fly to a WC house spider and the spider died within hours. Unrelated species but I never use pesticides around my house. And the fly was very much alive when I fed it. I had been keeping the spider temporarily to observe it and was planning to release it.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I fed 1 WC bottle fly to a WC house spider and the spider died within hours. Unrelated species but I never use pesticides around my house. And the fly was very much alive when I fed it. I had been keeping the spider temporarily to observe it and was planning to release it.
I fed 1 WC cricket to a CB tarantula. She got nematodes and dies. So no, stay away from WC prey items.