Found my old usb microscope :)

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like the title says, I found my old usb Qx3 toy microscope. I want to get a good one of these sometime, I like using it on the comp. Anyway I took a few images that I thought I'd share.

Here is the horror of most kitchens in...well...most anywhere in the world lol.
Blattella Germanica at 10x
(I found this one dead at a school I was subbing in)

I was at the Hamburg reptile show this past weekend and a vendor was nice enough to give me a pair of dead whitespot assassins. I make insect jewelry (metal casting and dried) and I really appreciated these! :)
Here is a shot of the compound eye at 60x
(the dorsal eyes are also visible)

And finally, the whitespot's ...well...spot lol.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some more interesting images soon, problem is the microscope is old and really low resolution. I need a new one! :D

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice. I actually don't remember ever seeing a german roach in my life. Around here in florida, it's just American cockroaches and Australians around here.

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
:clap:very cool. I really like Protection Trap. Your in pa also... if you do wedding rings I may need you in about 2 years lol. My boyfreind and I have been looking for someone to make us unusual rings:p

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:clap:very cool. I really like Protection Trap. Your in pa also... if you do wedding rings I may need you in about 2 years lol. My boyfreind and I have been looking for someone to make us unusual rings:p
Thanks, I actually won an award for that piece, I really enjoy it. As for making your rings, please keep in contact with me about it, I'd be happy to. That and if you're looking for unusual...lol...I think I'm the man for the job, jewelry speaking anyway. :)

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
Thats awesome.. It is a really neat piece how did you preserve it? We wont be putting anything together for another year or so but by then I will have all sorts of ideas lol. I saved you site on my favs and I will let you know when we are getting everything started. My bf is thinking some sort of skull ring but I would like something more spidery lol so I guess we will have to beef it out or find a nice combo. {D How far are you from York?

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats awesome.. It is a really neat piece how did you preserve it? We wont be putting anything together for another year or so but by then I will have all sorts of ideas lol. I saved you site on my favs and I will let you know when we are getting everything started. My bf is thinking some sort of skull ring but I would like something more spidery lol so I guess we will have to beef it out or find a nice combo. {D How far are you from York?
About ten minutes. :p

Also, it's not preserved, it's a solid silver casting from a Blaberus fuscaxcraniifer hybrid species. I do solid castings of insects but now that I'm no longer in school I need to send them out to be cast.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
O wow it looks so real! Only 10 mins wow thats great.
Yep, don't let other insect jewelers fool you, I'm one of the only ones using real insects in their metal castings. You can always tell because castings of real invertebrates always leaves behind ash, that ash them causes holes and pitting in the casting surface. I love how it looks, very primitive and rustic, so I play that up as much as possible. You can see darker cavities on the cockroach were it didn't completely cast, it's not "perfect" which is kinda what I'm going for in that respect. If anything I can always coat them in resin and make algaenate molds to do wax cast. :p

You do mean York city right btw? I'm in Red Lion. D:

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
I agree it is way cooler to have a cast of a real bug thats a one and only. Yes York... where the farm show is at. I live in york haven so im close to the city but we have plenty of woods for bug hunting lol. If you remeber give me a head up if there are any bug type things going on in are area or if you are showing some of your work at the fair or something.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree it is way cooler to have a cast of a real bug thats a one and only. Yes York... where the farm show is at. I live in york haven so im close to the city but we have plenty of woods for bug hunting lol. If you remeber give me a head up if there are any bug type things going on in are area or if you are showing some of your work at the fair or something.
Not that this really had much of a topic to go off of, but I think we did lol. :p
I show at Yorkarts at 10 north beaver street in York city pretty often. I have some prints in the 100 under 100 show right now actually.

There is like next to nothing in the way of bug events around here sadly but I own an old farm house with 2 acres of land next to my uncles dairy farm so I'm going to be doing lots of collecting this spring. I plan on making a light trap too, you and your boyfriend are welcome to join in if you'd like. Plenty of bugs to go around. :p

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
That sounds like a blast! My bf is kinda squeemish about the hissers we just got today..I bet he would love to see all your roaches :p Oh well I am sure they will grow on him.. he hated spiders when we met but now he has his own LP and rosie. The only cool thing in my woods are 100s of fishing spiders so if you ever need any of those... Wheres the 100 under 100 show at?

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That sounds like a blast! My bf is kinda squeemish about the hissers we just got today..I bet he would love to see all your roaches :p Oh well I am sure they will grow on him.. he hated spiders when we met but now he has his own LP and rosie. The only cool thing in my woods are 100s of fishing spiders so if you ever need any of those... Wheres the 100 under 100 show at?
Oddly I'm not really a spider guy. The only spider-like arachnids I have are a tailless whipscorpion and a vinegaroon. One of these days I may get a T but I'm more of a scorpion and roach guy. :)

The 100 under 100 is at Yorkarts main gallery on 10 North Beaver street down in York city. Www.yorkarts.org

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
Ahh yes a scorpion is next on my list lol. I have always loved spiders but I never thought I would get roaches.. Never even seen one in real life until today lol. They are really neat though.. im just paranoid about escapes. the vasaline seems to be working really well though. I just keep counting them so I know they are all there. I will have to check that out.. Im trying to get my son into art and music but he would rather be outside or play with toy trucks.