Found my first batch of mites

Iscariot

Arachnopeon
I'm getting some isopods tomorrow, would I be able to eliminate the mites with the isopods or should I clean it all out now?

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
i would say do both. as far as know, isopods will eat the mite eggs but im not sure about mites themselves. Clean it out just to be safe.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where does one get isos? I'd like to get some for my enclosures as i use store bought crickets for now.

Iscariot

Arachnopeon
It's all cleaned out! My blue fang seems much happier. I thought something was up when she was stuck to the top of the cage this morning looking like a pokie. She never dug a burrow, she had a hide in there before but I didn't put it back in with her becuse i'd prefer her to burrow. Apparently there were boluses under her hide with her, which would explain the mites. I have her on somewhat drier substrate would this pose a problem? I've only had her for two weeks and I had mites already....sheesh!! :mad:

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Under a log?

Grab a few, culture them and raise the offspring to help eliminate possible contaminants. I've done this a few times though sadly lately I'm out and cannot find new WC specimens it seems.

I keep them in some moist "leaf litter" and let them reproduce a few generations and then toss in some smaller ones into the enclosures. I've even had successful generations within the enclosures themselves afterward... I believe I read the common isopod that many call "Rollie Pollie" are found on every continent less the poles so I say why buy when you can raise your own?! :)

angrychair

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i was going to ask WTF is an isopod but since you said rollie pollie that was a give away!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Look in the For Sale section here on the forum to buy C(aptive)B(red) isopods. You have to wait for several generations to be safe when you collect them from the wild.