Found my escapee... not in great shape.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, my little P. cambridgei that teleported and escaped a couple weeks ago reappeared tonight... and this is how he looked.

Somehow, he still runs like his arse is on fire, and he's very spunky for someone with nearly half his legs gone.

So now he's safely in an ICU, just to keep an eye on him.

What do I do from here?

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd give pre-killed roaches for meal. It would save him the energy to kill his prey. Congrats on the find! Wishing a good successful molt soon!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awe! I hope the little ones pull through for you.. Wonder how it lost its legs..

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If he's active, I wouldn't be worrying. He has enough legs to make do. I'll second Bosing for the prekilled prey since he's missing a pedipalp.

Titandan

Arachnopeon
Awww... poor guy... sorry to hear about your spider man! He still looks like his carapace and abdomen are okay though. Which is more important I think right?

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Wow - - glad you found it when you did. I think I'd power feed that one and raise the temps a bit to induce a couple quick molts. It'll make a great story when it's fully recovered though :razz:

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Glad he showed up, but he does look like he's been through a war zone. Ditto on the pre-killed food until next molt, but I'm with everyone else on his actual condition. I've seen T's in worse shape survive. A few molts from now, you'll never know he was wounded. Diane

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
congrats on finding the t, hoping the t pulls through for you.

lost my P. fasciata once found it a few days later but it didn't make it. so you are lucky.{D

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yikes! Glad you found the little guy! With a little TLC, hopefully he will pull through just fine! Good luck!:D

Edd Eskimo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just power feed the little guy:D In a couple of molts you won't be able to tell it even lost any legs...around 3-4 molts I couldn't even tell in my T.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wouldn't powerfeed... it could induce molting too quickly. It needs time to regenerate the limbs. Feed a consistent diet of prekilled though. I think roaches would be too much work for a T missing that many appendages. I would try for superworm or crickets without legs, both pre-killed of course.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't powerfeed... it could induce molting too quickly. It needs time to regenerate the limbs. Feed a consistent diet of prekilled though. I think roaches would be too much work for a T missing that many appendages. I would try for superworm or crickets without legs, both pre-killed of course.
It's just my opinion, but I don't think it's possible for it to molt too quickly due to power feeding. Power feeding helps it to develop faster and therefore to molt faster. It won't molt pre-maturely just because you fed it more, it'll just stop eating, and then will molt as soon as it is possible because it was able to regenerate quickly.

I agree with the rest of your post though - - easy to feed on, pre-killed prey seems appropriate for this little one.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice and support, everyone! Gimpy seems to be doing just fine today, even wobbling around his little deli cup.

Going to find a teeny cricket and kill it, see if he's hungry. :)

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't powerfeed... it could induce molting too quickly. It needs time to regenerate the limbs.
Molting is a function of growth, not of feeding. (Other than that feeding contributes to growth.) Growth includes the regeneration of limbs. If power feeding increases growth rate, then it would also increase regeneration rate.

However, I'm not sure that speed of regeneration is a critical issue here. More important to just keep the animal as healthy as possible until its next molt, whenever that may be.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
WAY TO GO, on finding the little dude... I hope his molts go well, and he's back to normal in no time...