Found Latrodecus...now I'm in a pickle...

danny7499

Arachnopeon
Hi,
Couple nights ago I left my dog outside too long and when he came in a nice size Black Widow fell off his fur. I put her in a water bottle and planned to release her far away but when I came home I found this little white ball...Is it an egg sac?

I dont want to destroy it, so if you are in the South Bay please contact me via email, or I work in Del Mar and I'd be happy to met you at lunch tomorrow. If I dont find any takers by tomorrow night, I'm just gonna set the bottle down somewhere and hope it doesnt get ruined.

*edit - email is becerra.d@gmail.com

Vespula

Arachnodemon
I didn't even know geo occurs that far west... I guess that makes sense, though. I'd snuff the sac, as well, I hate to say.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree Latrodectus geometricus "brown widow"as a non native it's best to destroy the sack.

tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
latrodectus geometricus

She is great, thanks Dan. a real big spider too. She made another fuller size egg case and is eating very well. Cheers, Tom

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
While I yield to wiser spider people than I, it is of note that the Geometricus is very remarkable in the aspect of it's location. It was first identified simultaneously in the U.S. and Pakistan. It has popped up in so many locations that it is, or can be, very difficult to tell if it is an invasive or simply a limited population reclusive.