Found an unusual but very popular tartara diet

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I'm not sure what to think of it but I observed today a tartara that I had tossed in with an emp. That tartara went nuts on an old and forgotten dubia corpse and ate record much in record little time!

So there I stood and thought: *Hmmmmmmmmm!!! What if....?*

Thought and done, I went to the dubia bin, took out a fresh dubia corpse (a juvie), (checked just to make sure if anything unwanted was crawling on it) and put it in the tartara bin. I just checked up on the development and found 2 mature tartara females fighting over the dead body, which was already 1/4 eaten! I tossed it in 45min ago so they have obviously been going at it!

So, good idea or bad idea to do this more often? :?

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Update: The dubia roach is by now fully eaten, only a few sheets of the back exo remain. The most amazing thing is that the tartaras have been fed very well the last days so they shouldn't really be hungry even.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Out of curiosity what are tarantulas and emps doing in the same cage, and why are you keeping more than one T is a cage?

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
And a tartara is? I'm out of energy for Googling. =P

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mabye they have a lack of protien in their diet... Roches often eats parts of eachother if the dont have enough protein, I.e antenne and limbs

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Mabye they have a lack of protien in their diet... Roches often eats parts of eachother if the dont have enough protein, I.e antenne and limbs
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but the funny thing is that I have dog kibble in their box all the time... :?
Maybe it's too low quality, can that be?

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea mabye their protien guzzling little roches! But wouldnt they just eat more if it was to less quality... mabye they have a fetish for dead roaches!;P :confused: :}

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A small S.tartara colony I had ate a dead fully grown A.bicolor female in less than an hour while they were ignoring the various cat and dog feed I offered them from time to time.

Just take it easy with the corpses you provide them because mites might apear.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
A small S.tartara colony I had ate a dead fully grown A.bicolor female in less than an hour while they were ignoring the various cat and dog feed I offered them from time to time.

Just take it easy with the corpses you provide them because mites might apear.
Gosh, I wonder if that's an indicator that dog food isn't really best choice food for them :?

I'm not worried about mites, their tank is brimming over with springtails so mites have no chance in there :)

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They may have turned evil.
Check with a living dubia.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B. lateralis (I refuse to call them tartara) tend to lean a bit more towards the predatory side of the spectrum than other roaches. One of the many reasons I hate these buggers.

If you look closely at the roach threads, there's stories about lateralis escapees stealing food from tarantulas. The two I remember involved a termite and a cricket, but I know there's more.

It's not that you're not feeding them enough protien, they're just a little bit more eager to feed on 'meat' than their other cousins.