Found an unfamiliar scorpion species!ID?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I was looking around the field across from my house,and happened upon 2 scorpions of a species I am unfamiliar with:D{D:clap:.They are about an inch long,maybe shorter.I found them under separate cement blocks.I'm really excited.I've lived in this house for 3-4 years without a trace of scorpions,and now I found some!I'm probably going to black light tonight to see if I can find more!Anyways,here's a picture.I'm obviously not keeping them in these deli cups,they are just what I caught them in.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Definately got me stumped!Can't even get an idea on the species...

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sweet find :D

I actually think it's some sort of Vaejovis sp.
spinigerus, maybe?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was thinking vaejavous(spelling?) or seradigitus.I don't think spingerus though.They are teeny tiny though.I thought the first was just a baby,but then I found another of the exact same size,so I figure they are probably at adult size.I'm excited either way!

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Looks to big to be a serridigitus, claws are way to big as well.

Kevin

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Definetly not Serradigitus, these are much smaller and whole different habitus. It looks like a Vaejovid to me, but Paruroctonus could also be correct. I am not into US scorps and I just can say that it is not Serradigitus....

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Vaejovis intermedius is my guess, could you get a picture from a slight side angle, a close up of the claw, and maybe a ventral/pectine shot?

These are listed for Texas and Mexico but Southern California isn't a long shot to think they could be there. They match the area.

Send me a few and I'll give a positive ID :}

Last edited:

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It looks very similar to Vaejovis waueri,except they lack the stripes that I've seen in pictures.The description of Vaejovis Intermedius seams to fit,except that I've read they are a very "stingy" species,which mine are not.Maybe they were just cold when I found them or something.I found them under rocks,and the rocks they were under were only about a foot apart.Also,if they are Vaejovis,they should be communal,correct?

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
reddelli i think is just in texas but im not sure
im not realy to fond of vaejovidae realy they are ok but ill stick to centruroides haha man wheres luc when you need him haha

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm gonna take those pictures right after I post this.I put them together in a tub just to see how they reacted together,and suprisingly,they didn't even seem to aknowledge each others presense.They would run into each other(and on each other),and not react at all.This was much different from the Anuroctonus pocki and paruroctonus silvestrii I'm used to finding,who when I did the same thing,instantly raised up in position and stung when they made contact.I am now keeping them together in a 6" diameter delicup with cocoa fibre,bark,and flat rocks like what I found them in.I will monitor them,and try to spot any agression towards each other.I would love to find 10-15 of them and have a large communal colony setup going.We'll see what I can do!Thanks for everyones attempt to ID!Hopefully we can figure out what I've got.I would love to breed them and get them into the hobby,as they are a small species that would be really cool to have as a "desk pet",or in a huge communal setup.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay,here are some more pictures.These are the best I could get with my camera: