Found an injured bird, need advice

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I got home from work this morning and when I let the dogs out one of them chased a little bird out of the grass. It flew up 7ft and clung to the wall and was acting really strange. I tried to grab him, but he fluttered down and I chased him around a bit til I finally caught him. Besides getting up to the wall, he could never seem to get more than a foot or so off the ground.
I put him in a cat carrier with a towel and left him some bread crumbs and a bowl of water. I noticed that the top of one of his wings is injured and and has a little open wound. I also noticed a little blood on my hands, so he must've just injured himself prior to me coming outside. He is about the size of a golf ball.

So what do I do?

It's a little chilly in my room, should I put a space heater on him?
What do I feed him?
Should I call animal control on monday, would they be able to help? I'm almost afraid that they would put him down just because fixing him up would cost money. I'm don't make much money, but if I had to I would try to work out a payment plan with a vet. I wonder how much that would cost?

I'm hoping maybe he just heals after a couple days and will be able to fly on his own- anyone have any experience with this?

Sorry for all the questions, I just have absolutley no idea what to do and the little guys life just kinda fell into my hands.
Thanks for reading, any advice would be appreciated.

jrzyspider

Arachnopeon
Watch for lice. I had an occasion where i picked up a wild bird and my hand got covered with lice. If you look online you might find a wild bird rescue. That's who I've brought them to in the past.

Rue

Arachnoknight
There's no easy answer.

I've taken a healthy-looking young gull with a broken wing to the vet hospital...to find out gulls are persona (birda?) non gratis. They ended up euthanizing it and I got a necropsy report saying 'healthy young female with broken wing'. Well...didn't know it was female...:( - so I guess I learned a couple of things.

Last year I caught a young injured pigeon. Tried the vet hospital - again found out it was on the 'don't help and euthanize' list...but I then tried the Humane Society and they took it to a Pigeon Rescue. Not sure what happened to it after that.

I have looked after 'stunned' birds myself...those that flew into the windows...I have an old aquarium I use (only for wild birds)...usually a little warmth (light bulb from a distance...don't overheat) and water will take care of that.

So up to you. If it's a species that's desired...the vet hospital may take it (they like raptors for example)...or the Humane Society may know of a rescue group.

Otherwise you can try a little nursing. Be aware though, that the bird might have parasites, or a disease...that caused it to fall and hurt itself...not much you can do in that case...if it's already dying from something else.

Also be careful if you have pet birds (like I do). You don't want to transfer a disease from a wild bird into your pet flock.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Bird lice won't stay on people. Icky, but not a concern.

SterlingAce

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Keep it warm,quiet and dark,if you have a syringe try to give it some fluids.If at all possible put some electrolites and or glucose in the water one or 2ml should be ok,don't try to give it food it could make the shock worse.Then try to find out if there is a resue or similar place thats willing to take it in.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Thank you guys for your help, I really appreciate it. I read your replies before work on sunda night, but was in too big of a rush to respond & have been so busy with work until now.
Sadly, I found the little fella dead when I got home monday morning. I was planning on staying up & finding a bird rescue for him, but when I found him but it was too late. I did what you said and took the bread crumbs and apple out the night before, but I really think that he was already doomed when I first took him in & that I was only buying time. At least he had a soft, warm place to rest in his final hours.
Funny story though- sunday night before work I went in to check on him and he wasn't in the cat carrier. He pulled a Houdini on me. I looked around the room & found him sitting on top of the screen on my N. chromatus tank directly above the spider, looking down on him. He looked genuinly curious & Nhandu(the T) was on the edge of glass trying to crawl up towards the bird, but just kinda slid his legs around under the screen. A screen seperating you from a bird has to be the biggest joke ever on a birdeater, lol.
I put the bird in a coffe jar after that with a wire screen over it.
Anyway, thanks for all your help, I just wish he would've lasted long enough to get him to a rescue.
Happy trails :)

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agh.. sorry to hear, birds are tough, if they sick usually go fast

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Agh.. sorry to hear, birds are tough, if they sick usually go fast
Thanks Ana :)
Yea they really do go fast & I had to learn that the hard way. He was gone in less than 24 hours :(
At least next time I'll be a teeny bit more prepared. I hope theres not a next time though...