Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Found a tarantula

Discussion in 'Tarantula Pictures' started by tameyourself, Jun 26, 2013.

1. tameyourself

tameyourself Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    My husband found this dude at work. He works at the post office in Houston TX. IMG_3915.jpg IMG_3916.jpg IMG_3914.jpg

I have other tarantulas so I know how to take care of him, I just want to know what he is. He already has eaten a cricket :)

2. bliss

bliss Arachnoprince Old Timer

Aphonopelma species. Very slim chance it is something other than Aphonopelma.

Good luck determining what species, though.

3. tameyourself

tameyourself Arachnopeon

Thanks, that will help!

4. Stirmi

Stirmi Arachnosquire

It's a mature male and it was looking for a mate. Also it kinda looks like a Brachypelma vagans but I'm not an expert and judging by your location it is probably an aphonopelma sp

5. paassatt

paassatt Arachnoangel

Mature male Aphonopelma something-or-other

• Like Like x 4
  6. Male A. Hetzi AKA Texas Brown Tarantula my town is covered in them :) gotta love texas

7. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

The legs look a little slender for a Hentzi, IMO. They are pretty bulky, even the males.

8. telepatella

telepatella Arachnoknight

Get him to a female...!

9. paassatt

paassatt Arachnoangel

Why? If the species can't be correctly and definitively determined it's irresponsible to use him to breed.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Stirmi

Stirmi Arachnosquire

I think you should just put him back outside instead of keeping him because 1 he won't live long 2 your preventing him from his life goal which is to mate

• Like Like x 1
  11. tameyourself

tameyourself Arachnopeon

I would return him to the wild if I could. I don't think he came from the area outside of the post office. I was not aware that they were native to Houston.

12. Bongo Fury

Bongo Fury ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Arachnosupporter

You did a good thing by getting him away from a busy area and giving him some food, now let him continue his search for a mate.

13. tameyourself

tameyourself Arachnopeon

I'm going to ask around to see if anybody knows where I can release this guy. I want to find some place that has a population of them.

14. Stirmi

Stirmi Arachnosquire

just release him into you backyard, unless you live in a very busy area than go to a local camp or something similar with a lot of wilderness to release him. I'm sure hes native since texas has many aphonopelma species also mm tarantulas wander so he will eventually find himself a male hopefully

15. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

any open undeveloped location will do just fine. He's not in mating mode, yet, as you were able to get him to feed.

You could keep him until he begins to pace around restlessly, that's when you must release him or find a female.

16. tameyourself

tameyourself Arachnopeon

Thanks for all of the advice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.