Found a Pigeon

GingerC

Arachnosquire
Last night, I was walking a friend to his car when I noticed a distinctly bird shaped shadow under a street lamp. Closer inspection revealed it to be a pigeon. Even closer inspection revealed that it was unable (or at least unwilling) to fly, despite appearing healthy and uninjured.

I went in the house for a moment, and came back armed with a flashlight, a paper bag, a bathrobe, and a Dad. I used the Dad and the bathrobe to capture the pigeon, and placed it into a plastic storage tub overnight, unsure of whether it would still be alive in the morning.

Lo and behold, the pigeon was staring at me with bright eyes this morning. I moved it indoors, gave it a towel nest, water dish, and a bowl of millet mix. The pigeon is clearly an adult, has clear eyes and smooth feathers, and seems fairly inactive, but alert. It has eaten and pooped in the food bowl (which I take to be a good sign), and is cautious of my hand but not frantic. I felt the keel and it is noticeable, although not prominent, but the bird shows no other signs of illness or injury. I haven't closely inspected it because I want to avoid stressing it out much.

I'm thinking it might be someone's exhausted pet or something, so hopefully it will recover... but birds are unpredictable. It could be flying next week or it could be dead tomorrow. Anyway, I was just thinking I'd share, but if you have any advice I'd appreciate it.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Update on it or a picture? if it has a band or anything on the legs, it is someone's. No band or anything.. well could be from someone's coop or a feral.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Even pigeons with rings can be feral. They get lost on a race and just end up living with the street ones.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Awesome! Totally reminded me of when I "found" a pigeon about 8.5 years ago. Check it out, haha.

Last edited:

aphono

Arachnobaron
Even pigeons with rings can be feral. They get lost on a race and just end up living with the street ones.
Yeah, generally the captive gone feral regain their "wildness". This one apparently is injuried/sick or a fledging. Pic might help determine what up with this one- fledging or not, probable breed vs probable feral, etc.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
Yeah, generally the captive gone feral regain their "wildness". This one apparently is injuried/sick or a fledging. Pic might help determine what up with this one- fledging or not, probable breed vs probable feral, etc.
It's clearly an adult pigeon; it has a full coat of sleek feathers (no fluff), a fully developed cere, and a full sized plump body. Both of my parents have rehabilitated their fair share of pigeons and my dad thinks it could be malnourishment, but I'll definitely snap you a pic later in case you can identify a problem.

In the meantime, the pigeon has become much more alert and active, and has also turned into an eating/pooping machine. Definitely doing better than before.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Almost certain to have a few of the diseases and ailments common to in the wild pigeons. From round pin and tapeworms on out through e-coli. Consider the feces haz mat material.

The Snark

Old Timer
Grabbing the most recent WHO data sheet. Pigeons from the wild are the #1 animal to human disease vector with: Canker (inc Trichimona), Coccidiosis, Collibacillosis, Paratyphoid, Salmonella, Paramyxovirus, Adeno virus, Cico virus, Pigeon Malaria, Mycoplasmosis, Ornithosis, numerous worm parasites and Candida - Thrush all very common.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
I highly doubt they're the "number 1 animal to human disease vector", unless mosquitoes are fungi. :p

But still. No handling of bird/feces/items in bird box without hot water and soap being applied immediately after. If I end up keeping the pigeon, it'll be going to an avian vet asap.

The Snark

Old Timer
I highly doubt they're the "number 1 animal to human disease vector", unless mosquitoes are fungi.
Different aspects. Mosquitoes directly infect far more people. But birds, and especially the pigeon, carry the heaviest load of communicable diseases and are the #1 concern with potential pandemics.
I forget which organism it is. I'm lazy today. Anyway, 30% of all pigeons carry it in their feces. Maybe salmonella.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
My brother found one two years ago under a car in a shopping mall parking and still he haves that. A female. She plays with him, doesn't fly away, loves to peck at feet... zero diseases (a vet visited her, btw).

She eat if I'm not wrong, among a lot of other things, stuff for birds called "Tropical Mix" my bro loves to buy :pompous:

For the rest, I don't have a clue but from what I guess they aren't hard at all to keep, if healthy.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
My brother found one two years ago under a car in a shopping mall parking and still he haves that. A female. She plays with him, doesn't fly away, loves to peck at feet... zero diseases (a vet visited her, btw).

She eat if I'm not wrong, among a lot of other things, stuff for birds called "Tropical Mix" my bro loves to buy :pompous:

For the rest, I don't have a clue but from what I guess they aren't hard at all to keep, if healthy.
My family are all "pigeon people", I guess; one of my sisters used to breed ringneck doves, there was an evil pigeon that lived under the couch when I was a toddler, and my sister and I hand tamed a flock of ferals when I was in second grade.

They're the best pet birds: they're as smart as any conure, they make as much of a mess as a macaw, they're as aggressive as an Amazon, they mimic as well as a retarded budgerigar, all while having the same actual potential to harm you as a canary.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Well hmmm. You going to call them flying rats next? I think all pets are vectors of something. I've met some humans that are dirtier. IMG_3880.JPG

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They're the best pet birds: they're as smart as any conure, they make as much of a mess as a macaw, they're as aggressive as an Amazon, they mimic as well as a retarded budgerigar, all while having the same actual potential to harm you as a canary.
True: but this is why I highly dislike them, even if I have nothing against :angelic:

Hands down IMO the best, lovely, funny, fluffy and "of peaceful" bird is the Vulture :kiss: doesn't exist a better bird, that bald head is lovely... one of my dreams is to see in Texas, Arizona or whatever, a Vulture eating the eye and the stomach of a dead man :pompous:

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
@Matttoadman - Those are yours?! :astonished:

I've always found pigeons to be very beautiful birds. I've never had any as pets, but I have rescued a few in my day. I once rescued a pigeon that was being attacked by a cat. It was definitely injured and struggling. I scared the cat off, and swept the poor thing up. I made it a towel nest with water and bird seed until we could get it to Wildlife Care Network, but it didn't make it. :( It really tore me up. I inspected it postmortem, and there were worms trying to get into the wounds. That messed me up even more. *shudder*

I've also rescued a great horned owl that had a pigeon stuck in its talons. That was...interesting. A mixture of amazement, honor, and sadness. We took that dude to the WCN and he was just fine.

I've saved many smaller birds and one baby sparrow that I fed mashed-up crickets until we could get it safe in the hands of professionals.

I think your family sounds pretty cool, @GingerC! I hope your guy does okay!!

GingerC

Arachnosquire
True: but this is why I highly dislike them, even if I have nothing against :angelic:

Hands down IMO the best, lovely, funny, fluffy and "of peaceful" bird is the Vulture :kiss: doesn't exist a better bird, that bald head is lovely... one of my dreams is to see in Texas, Arizona or whatever, a Vulture eating the eye and the stomach of a dead man :pompous:
This made me lol because vultures are my actual favorite animal! If it was legal, I'd totally build myself an aviary and get one; there's two turkey vultures and a black vulture at my local zoo, and one of the turkeys will make odd little grunting noises when you talk to it. They can't vocalize like other birds, so God knows what it's trying to convey, but I like to think it's happy anyhow. :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This made me lol because vultures are my actual favorite animal! If it was legal, I'd totally build myself an aviary and get one; there's two turkey vultures and a black vulture at my local zoo, and one of the turkeys will make odd little grunting noises when you talk to it. They can't vocalize like other birds, so God knows what it's trying to convey, but I like to think it's happy anyhow. :D
Oh, you like Vultures as well :)

I don't know exactly the right scientific name, but my favorite is the one completely bald, the 'classic' Vulture I'd love to imagine eating a rotting corpse under the sun of the South :kiss: