Found a mantis in San Francisco, CA

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My son found this (pic) of a mantis (a friend said it looks like a mature female on her way out - she’s very slow...) called a “Chinese mantis tenodera sinensis at the end of her cycle.”
:sad:
Ideas if what the species is and possible “age”/sex? Also wtf was it doing sitting in a bush outside of my in-laws how in San Francisco?? :robot:

2D01402C-5A47-4B54-8543-896A24F136AC.jpeg 58982271-6B0B-40B3-9379-5A5D0608E3BB.jpeg
And for size comparison (my pointer finger:
1A40DF5F-128F-469A-B7EF-98CD087CF904.jpeg

thanks all!!!!

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
My son found this (pic) of a mantis (a friend said it looks like a mature female on her way out - she’s very slow...) called a “Chinese mantis tenodera sinensis at the end of her cycle.”
:sad:
Ideas if what the species is and possible “age”/sex? Also wtf was it doing sitting in a bush outside of my in-laws how in San Francisco?? :robot:

View attachment 366731 View attachment 366732
And for size comparison (my pointer finger:
View attachment 366733

thanks all!!!!
Not a Tendora, it’s a Mantis religiosa. That indeed looks to be a mature female, and that is an awful enclosure. You need way less substrate, more sticks, and hot glue mesh to the lid so she can hang.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not a Tendora, it’s a Mantis religiosa. That indeed looks to be a mature female, and that is an awful enclosure. You need way less substrate, more sticks, and hot glue mesh to the lid so she can hang.
THANK U!! Didn’t make the enclosure- my son and in laws did. I’ll be changing it!!
Now the mystery is WHY she was there???

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They literally live in bushes. They imitate leaves and branches.
Awesome... the more you know... am I right? Thanks for the help. I fed her a meal worm so she appears to me to still be young enough to hunt at least... should I put fake leaves? 3696E2B6-FBA1-444D-B5E8-3D4D1E2B8DD1.jpeg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
They literally live in bushes. They imitate leaves and branches.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't mantids common in the farm and low land forest areas south of the peninsula? I understand they have been wiped out up in wine country and the central valley from pesticide spraying but are still present near the coast.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sure. If you give her proper care she could live for a lot longer. Is she active?
She devoured a whole mealworm and a 1/4 of another. So yes she’s active. She threat posed at me and at the prey so I guess she’s still got some spunk in her!! Lol. (Moderators please don’t give me a warning about the above sentence- you all know what I REALLY meant!)... she’s hanging out up side down in her little kritter keeper. I didn’t know we were going to see the mantis or keep it, that’s why I don’t have more proper things for her.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
She devoured a whole mealworm and a 1/4 of another. So yes she’s active. She threat posed at me and at the prey so I guess she’s still got some spunk in her!! Lol. (Moderators please don’t give me a warning about the above sentence- you all know what I REALLY meant!)... she’s hanging out up side down in her little kritter keeper. I didn’t know we were going to see the mantis or keep it, that’s why I don’t have more proper things for her.
If she’s active it means she still has a while left

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It always intrigues me how they can tear through most organic materials.

Ravenous.