Found a local T dealer-would you pay this price?

JRsmallz

Arachnopeon
First off, I'm new here, so I apologize in advance for any wrong doings that may take place whether I'm in the wrong area or whatever. You can scold me later. I found a local dealer who posted quite a few T's on our local classifieds site. I contacted him to see what all he had and I inquired about a p. regalis. He quoted $35 for a 4". Am I getting a deal or is this going to be too good to be true? Or am I too naive to not realize that's the common price? Considering we are in the same city I don't pay for shipping. Also, at that size, will I be able to pick out a for sure female? I'm going over there tonight so any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
First off, I'm new here, so I apologize in advance for any wrong doings that may take place whether I'm in the wrong area or whatever. You can scold me later. I found a local dealer who posted quite a few T's on our local classifieds site. I contacted him to see what all he had and I inquired about a p. regalis. He quoted $35 for a 4". Am I getting a deal or is this going to be too good to be true? Or am I too naive to not realize that's the common price? Considering we are in the same city I don't pay for shipping. Also, at that size, will I be able to pick out a for sure female? I'm going over there tonight so any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
if you are comfortable with sexing a female for sure, then thats a good price for a 4" regalis...If you take into consideration that a 5-6" will go for closer to $100...but thats just my 2/100ths of a dollar.

JRsmallz

Arachnopeon
Well if I can't, maybe he can. He seemed really cool so I doubt he'll force me into checking for the Adam's apple all by myself hahaha. Thanks for your 2¢.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The downfall is that if he's selling it as unsexed and with you being new, he may already know he's selling it as a male. Some people can guess pokie genders at very small sizes.

Now, the other thing to consider is you'll still have a while with it and can always buy a female later or send it out for a 50/50, thus ending up with more babies.

JRsmallz

Arachnopeon
I am still fairly new at this, that's true. I'm on my 3rd t which is an avic avic, my second was a cobalt blue rescued from a pet store (kk with no water or substrate--mislabeled so $30 well spent.) My first was a wild caught species that I never figured out what it was. I was 7 at the time so I didn't know to care. I just rewatched Jon3800's YouTube video on the p. Regalis and he said you can sometimes sex them dorsally (more brown colors with prominent black abdomen is most likely male). So I'll just hope for the best here. I'll let you all know how it goes and maybe attempt to post a pic if I figure out how. Thanks for all the tips--keep em coming.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
People have already given good advice - at that size and price, you almost can't go wrong either way as long as you keep in mind that if it's a male, you'll want to consider a breeding loan once he matures.

If it's a female, that's a damn good price and I'd snatch it up quick. How many does the LPS actually have?

JRsmallz

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure how many he has but I will update when I find out. I'll see if he wont mind me giving you all his contact info(pending how well my experience is.). He says right now for pokiest he has ornatas, pedersinis and obviously regalis. Odd thing is, the ad I found him from says 50 bucks for the regalis but its almost a month old so maybe he's lowered the price or I'm just awesome. I'm holding him to the quote he gave me. Text message is a powerful thing haha.

web eviction

Arachnolord
Is say go for it I paid more for my 5.5 female Regalis, still trying to find her a mate....

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah Id say thats a really good deal considering that the average P. regalis slings on here sell anywhere from $15-$30. And thats not including shipping. Its a steal either way because if it turns out a male you could send it out for a breeding loan or sell it for $70+ and if its a female it would be well worth $100:D.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
My first pokie was a 5" male P. regalis. I now have 2-3 females i got as slings in a trade for that male. After i loaned him out for a 50/50. :)

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
KTBG (kenthebugguy.com) has a 5" female <edit> and a 6" male <edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

JRsmallz

Arachnopeon
100% Positive! I was in T heaven. The guy literally lives a block away from me so I think I have my official supplier. All the regalis he had were from the same sac and not only suggested I choose a female, he helped me pick out a probable one. She's fast. No threat postures but she just wanted to get away from me. He said they were about 9 months old so that's nice to know. I was tempted to add in a 3" OBT for 10 bucks but I wasn't really prepared enclosure wise. Anybody know the trick to attaching photos via cell phone?

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
you can try uploading to photobucket.com and then copy/paste the link. not sure, my phone is a dinosaur.

JRsmallz

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the photobucket suggestion. Android has a nice app that's easy to use. Well right now I'm feeling a bit uneasy. I sent a couple pics to Jon3800 and he's thinking I've got a pederseni. Granted these photos are bad cell phone shots and you cant see the same yellow legs that I can. But what are your opinions? Hopefully these links work...

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
It looks like it has a cream band on the bottom of the abdomen. Only P. regalis has a band.

JRsmallz

Arachnopeon
I honestly don't mind if its not a regalis. I wanted one mainly due to price range and from what I've seen on pretty much any pokie, I didn't do too bad at all. I feel good knowing I've added a new member to the small collection that I can really learn from. She ate as soon as I got home so she's obviously comfortable haha. Thanks for all your help guys.

monkey

Arachnopeon
It's pretty, whatever it is!
I'd be very happy with one of those.