Found a baby sparrow

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
It's in a strawberry box lined with tissue paper right now. Quick google search tells me if it has feathers I should leave it but it's not hopping even when I touch it. I found it on the floor in front of a store, the nest is in the shutter gate box thing. When the store opens people are gonna be walking around here and it's definitely getting stepped on. What do I do?

Also it has red mites on it. If transferred can mites live on cloth material without a host to live off for example a carpet?

Should I euthanize it?

Edit: It has pooped while in the box

Edit2: It pooped a lot more and started chirping, a lot. It was silent and barely moving when I found it. Guess it has found it's strength after falling out of the nest. I went back and placed it back where I found it and it started chirping and hopping around. The other adult sparrows also seem happy to see it. Hope all goes well and it doesn't get stepped on. I don't have my mealworms with me in office so it's the most I could do.

Last edited:

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
After work I went to check on it and it's gone. There was a stray cat at the location. I don't know what I could've done differently.

RIP

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
It's in a strawberry box lined with tissue paper right now. Quick google search tells me if it has feathers I should leave it but it's not hopping even when I touch it. I found it on the floor in front of a store, the nest is in the shutter gate box thing. When the store opens people are gonna be walking around here and it's definitely getting stepped on. What do I do?

Also it has red mites on it. If transferred can mites live on cloth material without a host to live off for example a carpet?

Should I euthanize it?

Edit: It has pooped while in the box

Edit2: It pooped a lot more and started chirping, a lot. It was silent and barely moving when I found it. Guess it has found it's strength after falling out of the nest. I went back and placed it back where I found it and it started chirping and hopping around. The other adult sparrows also seem happy to see it. Hope all goes well and it doesn't get stepped on. I don't have my mealworms with me in office so it's the most I could do.
It really depends where you live, here in the U.K. I would call the RSPB (Royal Society for Protection of Birds) I don't know where you are but if you have a similar charity give them a call and they'll be happy to help. Hope this has helped.[EDIT] Sorry to hear it's lost the fight......

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If it is a European House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) then it is a non native species and there is no shortage of their numbers. While it is not fun to see an animal suffering and sick (mites, etc.) at least it was not a threatened or endangered species.