Fossorials - what's the point of keeping them? 😂

Jess S

Arachnobaron
At one point there were a lot of fossorials I really wanted in my collection. There are tons of stunning species out there. My favourite was probably Ephebopus cyanognathus. I ended up with 2 grown on slings, and in appearance they were everything they were cracked up to be. Amazing looking.

Now they are both a good couple inches and obviously have established burrows but I never see them. I have a few other NW t"s that burrow and I never see them either. Just the tip of a leg now and then. It's great when they burrow at the sides of the glass, but when they don't, or when they do but have webbed up so much the walls are too opaque to see through.

I knew what I was getting into and it's never bothered me before, until lately. More and more I've been thinking what is the point of keeping animals that you don't see?

The only light at the end of the tunnel for me is the hope that when the blue fangs get bigger, I may get to see an occasional takedown, because right now, just opening the lid sends them deep into their burrows for ages.

Not to mention, rehousing fossorials is a giant pain in the backside.

Thing is, I'd still like to get a C. lividus back in my collection, but while I'm feeling 'meh' like I am right now, I won't be ordering one.

What do you guys think about fossorials? Anyone feel the same as me? And if not, why not? I'd love to hear what you all think.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Flashlight at night + nice clear lid + limited feeding = get to see your fossorials.

Works like a charm for me every time.

Just know I am not implying withholding food from your T's for your entertainment. Just feeding them less than you normally would seems to illicit more natural predatory behavior such as waiting at the mouth of the burrow at night for food and a much stronger feeding response.

Even if I see mine once a month happy and healthy that's enough for me. I know not everyone feels that way and I respect that choice.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I used to think that, but when I got my first fossorial (may the little, leggy, MM I. mira Rest In Peace), and then another (E. pachypus), and so on. I found that there are still observations to be made even though you only see them 2% of the time.

I actually have an Aphonopelma species that Burrows more than my P. muticus.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I used to think that, but when I got my first fossorial (may the little, leggy, MM I. mira Rest In Peace), and then another (E. pachypus), and so on. I found that there are still observations to be made even though you only see them 2% of the time.

I actually have an Aphonopelma species that Burrows more than my P. muticus.
Which Aphonopelma you got? First thought was seemani but there are loads Aphonopelma spp., and I bet some I've never heard of!

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Aphonopelma vorhiesi
I've come across the name before on the forum but had no idea what they look like so just googled to find a pic. Really nice looking species actually. I'm jealous now 🤣

We don't get much variety in Aphonopelma species in the UK unfortunately. Besides the stock species like chalcodes, seemani, on rare occasions I've seen moorae and moderatum for sale, but for crazy prices. I just have seemani and hentzi and I really like both of them. I would definitely keep more.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
My bicoloratum loves to dig, 1 of my 3 Steindachneris is a digger, the other 2, not so much. To the OP, I love my C darlingi and C marshalli, it is cool to see them work, and fun when they make an appearance.

jay444

Arachnosquire
I think it is super interesting to watch how they build their burrows. I feed them smaller preys more often (instead of one big prey once in a while) and they hang out more in plain sight waiting for their meal.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Well, tarantulas are naturally reclusive and hidden by nature/instinct in the wild. While display T.'s are great for display in captivity, we must not forget that tarantulas being in holes, burrows, or tree hollows/hides is also quite normal. I think the appeal of them is interesting, but I totally understand people that don't like seeing holes and dirt for the majority of the time.

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
My biggest T (one of my only juveniles) is my Orphnaecus sp. "Blue Panay" and it's is your typical pet hole. However, it was the first of my slings that showed interesting behaviour, such as building web curtains or making a tunnel system. Sure, I didn't get to see it a lot, but it was my first takedown. Now they're bigger, they've established a hide under their cork bark, and I've seen them quite often at the mouth of their burrow. As long as I see bits of roaches that they've had a go on, that's fine by me as I know they're ok. Took me a while to get to grips with that and resist the urge to dig them up however!

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
The point is the payoff.
Even if you don't see them every time you look, it's still beautiful.
It's like growing plants for the flower.
Totally worth it.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
The point is the payoff.
Even if you don't see them every time you look, it's still beautiful.
It's like growing plants for the flower.
Totally worth it.
That's a really nice way of thinking about it. I may print that out and hang it on the fossorial shelf to remind myself of that .
In fact all of you that commented so far have helped me immensely.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I see mine often. Mostly in the mornings when I go to turn their lights on.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Night time + little torch = visible fossorials for me.

I take pics but have to take them through their enclosures with my phone so they're not the best but for me just being able to see them it is.

Miss Bach Ma emerging.
A9624B4E-4189-4F2E-B0DF-57AB08023B34.jpeg
Out and about.
BCC6E4FB-949E-4CCE-8E3D-E628492BD4D1.jpeg 3698205F-AD4B-4F6D-80B8-9FCB67D7CD91.jpeg 43B7DB4F-ADDA-4220-A1F7-8F38EDF065FE.jpeg

Selenocosmia crassipes munching on a prekilled morioworm I left out for her to find.

C9545604-57E8-43F5-BDCB-A05CEF29E451.jpeg

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I have been seeing my BachMa pretty consistently. My e.murinus is out right now in the full daylight even tho she has established her burrow now and was recently fed. (she was hiding yesterday and the day before) My I.Mira I hardly ever see. I sometimes worry about her but she has always been fine. (I could probably feed her less. She is a bit of a chonker. I did not see her for a while and did not realize she was a fatty)

My c.lividus is out almost every night and in the morning. I think you have to be patient or just catch them at the right time. It is not just fossorials that can be elusive. One of my pokies I hardly ever see and my p.gigas and s.cal are usually hidden except at night or some feet out.

AdieSWA

Arachnopeon
I have a few fossorials that I often catch out at night however last night I saw, for the 1st time in about 6 months, my O. Schioedtei which had burrowed under its cork bark, and I was blown away. It went into hiding as a grown on sling and last night looked like a proper juvenile, lovely markings on its abdomen and stocky legs. Unfortunately I startled it pressing my big fat head close to the shelving unit and it darted away rapid. I was literally said out loud "oh well see you in another 6!"

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Night time + little torch = visible fossorials for me.

I take pics but have to take them through their enclosures with my phone so they're not the best but for me just being able to see them it is.

Miss Bach Ma emerging.
View attachment 373731
Out and about.
View attachment 373733 View attachment 373734 View attachment 373736

Selenocosmia crassipes munching on a prekilled morioworm I left out for her to find.

View attachment 373735
Nice clear enclosure there. Looks like something you've repurposed. What is it?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Nice clear enclosure there. Looks like something you've repurposed. What is it?
Bach Ma is in one of those clear plastic tarrariums and the whistling wonder is in a tub I got from Ikea. Great tubs but have a blue tint to them.