Fossorial webbing setup

kylecelo

Arachnopeon
So I recently got a new fossorial T. Ceratogyrus Marshalli and based on my research it is fossorial in nature. So would it be okay if I set it up with lower substrate? I want it to web up it's enclosure so the setup would contain anchor points like twigs and drift wood. Would this affect the T? Would this stress her out? Any tip would very much be appreciated. :)

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
IMO deep substrate and some structure for webbing. My C darlingi digs elaborate, multi entrance tunnel systems and webs the entire surface. You will lose some water dishes.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
So I recently got a new fossorial T. Ceratogyrus Marshalli and based on my research it is fossorial in nature. So would it be okay if I set it up with lower substrate? I want it to web up it's enclosure so the setup would contain anchor points like twigs and drift wood. Would this affect the T? Would this stress her out? Any tip would very much be appreciated. :)
Fossorial means they dig A LOT. They need substrate far more than space to web. A C. Marshalli is going to be a hole that you feed and occasionally see a tarantula.

kylecelo

Arachnopeon
Actually this made me think, some of the keepers I know put in 1/3 of the substrate in theirs. When I asked why they told me that the T webs up the enclosure more if the substrate is less. That's what led me to ask the pros here for advice. Anyway thanks guys this helped me a lot. Will set it up with substrate enough for it to burrow. :)

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Actually this made me think, some of the keepers I know put in 1/3 of the substrate in theirs. When I asked why they told me that the T webs up the enclosure more if the substrate is less. That's what led me to ask the pros here for advice. Anyway thanks guys this helped me a lot. Will set it up with substrate enough for it to burrow. :)
and some will say 2/3rds for more diffing. You could always split the distance and go half :geek:

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
C. marshalli will do extensive webbing when not given adequate substrate in an effort to compensate and replicate what they would if given the room. It’s actually “stress webbing” in layman’s terms, the spider IMO would be much more happier and comfortable if given deeper substrate. Would take a lot of the stereotypical baboon behavior right out of it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
When I asked why they told me that the T webs up the enclosure more if the substrate is less.
That's because they're providing sub-optimal enclosures and the spider is trying to compensate for not being able to burrow by webbing the enclosure into a makeshift burrow. People do this with other fossorials like P. murinus/C. huahini and the result is almost always that you end up with a hyper-defensive jack in the box because instead of having an actual burrow to retreat to when you open the enclosure you're basically ripping the top off its pseudo-burrow every time you feed/do maintenance and they don't like that.

kylecelo

Arachnopeon
C. marshalli will do extensive webbing when not given adequate substrate in an effort to compensate and replicate what they would if given the room. It’s actually “stress webbing” in layman’s terms, the spider IMO would be much more happier and comfortable if given deeper substrate. Would take a lot of the stereotypical baboon behavior right out of it.
This is the reply I have been waiting for. "Stress webbing" Honestly the enclosure looks gorgeous when it gets webbed up fully but the downside is the T ends up being defensive and would really prefer deeper substrate for it to be more comfortable. Anyways this really helped out a lot! Thank you

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
This is the reply I have been waiting for. "Stress webbing" Honestly the enclosure looks gorgeous when it gets webbed up fully but the downside is the T ends up being defensive and would really prefer deeper substrate for it to be more comfortable. Anyways this really helped out a lot! Thank you
No worries at all