Fossorial T's Personal Opinion

TimmmyTarantula

Arachnopeon
Slightly derailing the thread but could you do this with cups over the exits then flood the T out instead? I know this apparently ends up with a cross tarantula bit seems a safer option than digging a spicy OW up
Yes you could totally do this by flooding the t out. I personally dont consider it inhumane to flood a t out of its burrow because it kind of simulates a flood or heavy rainfall that might cause a t to leave its burrow. I have done this once with my c. dysclous and the only thing to consider is in terms of stress I really dont know if its more or less stressful than my preferred method but if its a deep burrower in deep substrate it can take ALOT of water to raise the water line enough to drive the t out. My dysclous just moved further up the tunnel until the water was literally at the top of the substate before she came out. I had to add a few gallons of h20 it was a big muddy mess lol but all ts are different mine is stubborn you might have better luck :)

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Chilobrachys kaeng krachan.
They are confident, not afraid and just look great (at least the girls!)! In second place is Haplocosmia himalayana (for the same reasons)!
View media item 74594

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Slightly derailing the thread but could you do this with cups over the exits then flood the T out instead? I know this apparently ends up with a cross tarantula bit seems a safer option than digging a spicy OW up
yes you can. There’s a video of this. And the T comes out quite upset too.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Yup, either way the T will be annoyed! I had crazy ‘jump scares’ digging up my sub-adult vonwirthi back in the day! :lol:

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Hi! For those of you who keep fossorial tarantulas- would you share your favorite species and why? Or share which species is or was not your favorite and why? I want to add a fossorial spider to my collection but I am having trouble deciding which one :)
The i. mira is an amazing spider, but I don't personally see much of it as it typically stays hidden. My favorite is the c. darlingi. The cutest horn, AMAZING burrows, and shockingly, out on display pretty often, and for mine, specifically, that's because she's made her whole enclosure part of her burrow, from the bottom to the lid, an intricate tunnel that's completely webbed up but still very visible. It's one of those species I didn't anticipate loving as much as I do, a really pleasant surprise!

Side note: I don't think cylindrical enclosures get enough credit. For fossorials especially, I've seen a huge difference with visibility because the side of the enclosure gets used so much more.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Tarantula Kat flooded out one of hers and it came out ready to throw hands - or fangs, rather.

There’s a reason I only turn her channel on when my kids are around - because I watch her mostly for entertainment.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Tarantula Kat flooded out one of hers and it came out ready to throw hands - or fangs, rather.

There’s a reason I only turn her channel on when my kids are around - because I watch her mostly for entertainment.
If you wear elf ears while talking about the enclosure requirements of an OBT don't be surprised when people take what you have to say with a pinch of salt

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
If you wear elf ears while talking about the enclosure requirements of an OBT don't be surprised when people take what you have to say with a pinch of salt
My 12 year old just watched that yesterday! She serious face looked at me and went “mom, I can’t take her seriously right now. She’s like 30. Can we go back to the Big Spider guy?”

I cackled so hard and turned Tom’s channel on

ConstancePlants

Arachnopeon
The i. mira is an amazing spider, but I don't personally see much of it as it typically stays hidden. My favorite is the c. darlingi. The cutest horn, AMAZING burrows, and shockingly, out on display pretty often, and for mine, specifically, that's because she's made her whole enclosure part of her burrow, from the bottom to the lid, an intricate tunnel that's completely webbed up but still very visible. It's one of those species I didn't anticipate loving as much as I do, a really pleasant surprise!

Side note: I don't think cylindrical enclosures get enough credit. For fossorials especially, I've seen a huge difference with visibility because the side of the enclosure gets used so much more.
I have several cylinder containers! I’ll definitely keep this in mind as mine grow.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
yes you can. There’s a video of this. And the T comes out quite upset too.
LOL. Tom Moran has a video where he tried the flood method. The tarantula didn't come out, so he had to dig it out of mud instead of regular substrate.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
“I’ve got a jar of dirt, I’ve got a jar of dirt”

Never gets old. I love my jars of dirt.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
LOL. Tom Moran has a video where he tried the flood method. The tarantula didn't come out, so he had to dig it out of mud instead of regular substrate.
They are all different. I'm not surprised a T doesn't leave. I prefer to dig around their burrow and lift them out while inside their burrow.

tonebar

Arachnopeon
Megaphobema robustum!! Most regulars on here probably know how crazy I am about this species. Beautiful red/white/black coloration, great feeding response, get 8"+, and they have spikes on their legs along with the normal urticating hairs. They dig complex tunnels, but mine comes out most mornings/evenings
Slightly late to the party here but wanted to second this. I've had my juvenile for just over two months. It tirelessly dug immediately upon moving into its enclosure, but it usually hangs out up top (as pictured) if not disturbed.

I'm a new keeper and only have 4 spiders so far, but my M. robustum is definitely my favorite.

PXL_20211205_010045578.MP.jpg

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Slightly late to the party here but wanted to second this. I've had my juvenile for just over two months. It tirelessly dug immediately upon moving into its enclosure, but it usually hangs out up top (as pictured) if not disturbed.

I'm a new keeper and only have 4 spiders so far, but my M. robustum is definitely my favorite.

View attachment 405252
Gorgeous! I think people shy away from them bc there's a lot of beautiful orange and black spiders who are terrestrial, and more visible on average. But it's such a treat to see mine out each morning, and I've been lucky enough that it dug against the wall of the enclosure and I have a "window"