Fossorial T's Personal Opinion

ConstancePlants

Arachnopeon
Hi! For those of you who keep fossorial tarantulas- would you share your favorite species and why? Or share which species is or was not your favorite and why? I want to add a fossorial spider to my collection but I am having trouble deciding which one :)

Thanks so much!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
1.) I. Mira
2.) O. Philippinus
3.) C. Darlingi

That is my 3 favorites in order. Mira because its a trap door species, philippinus because they are smooth and orange, darlingi because they make great beginners and have a horn.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter

ConstancePlants

Arachnopeon
1.) I. Mira
2.) O. Philippinus
3.) C. Darlingi

That is my 3 favorites in order. Mira because its a trap door species, philippinus because they are smooth and orange, darlingi because they make great beginners and have a horn.
I would love to see photos of them and their enclosures if you don’t mind sharing 🤗

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I love baboons, as well as a lot of the ornithoctoninae that start as fossorial then kind of become aboreal as they grow. I Mira are amazing because of the trapdoor. M Balfouri, Ceratogyrus darlingi and marshalli, Hati hati, phormingochilus sp ackaya

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
C.darlingi, H.gigas

C.darlingi looks great,makes cool tunnels with web spreading all over the enclosure from the burrow. Mine is out fairly often

H.gigas because it makes nice,deep tunnels and you almost never see it. Not seeing it often is a bonus for me because it feels awesome anytime you are able to see it fully. No other T makes me go say "whoa look at that" everytime i see it out , and dark,deep matte brown look of it is awesome.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Haploclastus devamatha.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I only have one fossorial and it’s a sling right now, so I can’t speak exactly on my “favorite” but O. philipinus is suuuuuper orange, even as a sling. It’s not as vibrant as it’s adult colors but it is definitely ORANGE.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I only have one fossorial and it’s a sling right now, so I can’t speak exactly on my “favorite” but O. philipinus is suuuuuper orange, even as a sling. It’s not as vibrant as it’s adult colors but it is definitely ORANGE.
I thought you weren’t getting Old Worlds? 😈

Venom671

Arachnosquire
My favorite is any asian fossorial, but id recommend the Ephebopus or megaphobelma to start with

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
They are jaw dropping when they hit around 2.5-3 inches.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
that i own: S. crassipes or M. balfouri
that i wish i owned: C. fimbriatus

reasons being beauty, power, speed, venom, the places their endemic to in the wild, etc - S. crassipes in particular, because of how it created a cave and within that cave, created multiple entrance/exit tunnels

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
m balfouri
i mira
p muticus is my favorite the easiest to manage and rehouse least likely to dash off helter skelter in any direction my balfouri was that way threat pose and then take off in the blink of an eye my p muticus is threat pose and take its slow moving time to try getting away. it grows really slow to got my sling in july 2019 and is only a bit over 2 inches from a 1/4 inch sling when i first got it pic is my p muticus sling around an inch or so an active digger constant mess in its water dish to clean each morning:rofl:but i never knew which entrance it would spy at me from when cleaning etc.keep in mind though mine is just a baby still things can/might change drasticly(attitude wise) once it gets to the age and size of domgom the fathers p muticus.(how can you not love that color) i can usually catch mine out topside late nights 3 ish to 4 am webbing or piling sub around the surface.

Attachments

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Pelinobius muticus, purely because of nostalgia (first tarantula for me) and the presence they have when they're older and you see them out of their burrows. Have a decent sized female stridulate (hiss) at you just once, and you won't forget that spider lol.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
L giannispasotoi: their color fade is beautiful when they're adults, and I really like stout legged tarantulas. This pic was from when I got it (juvie,) and its colors were pretty dull but a molt soon after brightened it up.
This is from a bit after its molt, but it always goes back in its hole when I move the enclosure.
P1080114-01.jpeg

H gigas: all three of these choices (in my experience) stay outside pretty often, but this one the most. And their velvety brown when adults looks really cool.

C marshalli: pretty well tempered, and I really like the horn.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
  • I. mira - adorable small, visually stunning and trap door.
  • P. muticus - Cause @DomGom TheFather told me they are the you know what and it’s true. On cool mamajama
  • P. murinus cause again @DomGom TheFather said it was awesome. If it ain’t orange it ain’t obt.
  • C. darlingi - Mine is coming soon. A T with a horn, why the heck not.