Fossorial, terrestrial or arboreal, which do you enjoy the most?

Which do you enjoy the most?

• Fossorial

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • Terrestrial

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Arboreal

Votes: 16 36.4%

• Total voters

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

Just wondering, which do you find more exciting to watch/feed between fossorial, terrestrial and arboreal Ts?
What are your experience with them?
Which one do you like the least, and why?
Favorite Ts of each?
What did you start with and would make the same choice now?
Which do you see the most and see the least (in general, as I know it differs depending on the sp)?

I've read multiple threads about each type and found many different opinions (like finding terrestrial boring and fossorial interesting, etc.), so I'm interested to see what's everyone's opinion?

Cheers, have a nice day everyone!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The ones I have I enjoy the most. You didn’t give an option to choose All. Like em all.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
98%Terrestrial, 2% arboreal.

I usually only have one arboreal at a time, and I still have mixed feelings about them.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Terrestrial mostly. I haven't had too many arboreal/fossorial tarantulas though.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Terrestrial given I have yet to work with Arboreal or Fossorial species. I may be wrong in saying this, but I think terrestrials tend to be much more visible than the others.

LD50

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I love fossorial species but I like terrestrials too. Every tarantula on my wishlist is an old world fossorial lol Arboreals are my least favorite, beautiful but not for me.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
  • For my personal collection: Arboreal > Fossorial > Terrestrial. Don't really have a singular reason why it's in this order. For some reason, terrestrials just have never sparked as large of an interest as their arboreal and fossorial counterparts.
  • For my current collection, I'm at 93.75% Arboreal, 6.25% Fossorial, and 0% terrestrial, so I'd say I have the most experience with arboreals (majority are Asian arboreals though, so do I get some fossorial credit as well lol? Sometimes the lines are too blurry for these designations).
  • If I had to pick favorites, it would be Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue for arboreals, Hapoclastus devamatha/Chilobrachys sp Electric Blue for fossorials, and Xenesthis sp Bright for terrestrials. They're all just living jewels.
  • I started with a fossorial species (KBB), even though I knew my interests were primarily geared towards arboreals. My entry point into this hobby was carefully researched, and I gauged a small (sling), slow growing, stand your ground instead of bolting species would give me the best chance of success based on my experience level. So, if I had to do it all over again, I'd definently stick to the same path.
  • Since my collection is so heavily weighted to arboreal, the answer to which type do I see more is arboreal.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I love me a terrestrial that doesn’t mind going down but also not afraid to get high.

I have all three and honestly couldn’t say I enjoy one more or less over the other.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Let’s be honest. Tarantulas aren’t the most exciting animals based on activity levels. With that said I like to keep a good combination of all 3. Allows me to enjoy all the little quirks or things they do as a whole. And see how much each varies from day to day.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just wondering, which do you find more exciting to watch/feed between fossorial, terrestrial and arboreal Ts?
Each of those types has their pros and cons for a potential keeper. I don't really care about the lifestyle of a T - if it's a species I am interested in, is available and I can afford it I'll eventually get it. Meaning, it's not a criterium for me if, or if not to get a T.

What are your experiences with them?
Since the 'good' and 'normal' stuff obviously isn't interesting, it's the stuff that can be a problem for a keeper that's worth mentioning. But even then 'your milage may vary' is very much true since no two T's (even of the same species) are entirely the same in terms of personality. That said, I've gotten more grief from arboreals than terrestrials. Nothing bad, just on the time-scales for rehousings aso. I guess one could say the evergreen terrestrials will give you less trouble as a newcomer. But that's just personal opinion, not chiseled in stone.

Which one do you like the least, and why?
Fossorial. But only because I get deprived of their looks once they get comfy in their burrows. I think I've seen my Cyriopagopus sp. "Hati-Hati" female maybe twice for 5 min each since she established her burrow. On the upside, she molted twice since then - but I have no idea how big she is now. Should be around 3 or 4"? No idea.

Favorite Ts of each?
That's a difficult question to answer. I don't have single favs, more like a few for each and they tend to change when you get a new T and start to really like it over the years. Anyways, terrestrials clear A. geniculata, E. sp. "blue femur" (hobby pulcherimaklaasi), H. chilensis, B. harmorii, G. pulchra and iheringi. Arboreals it's simple in comparison: P.irminia hands down! Followed closely by Avics in general and P. subfusca "lowland". Fossorial...E. murinus, various Chilobrachys spp (although they're not exactly fossorial in captivity)

What did you start with and would make the same choice now?
Juvie P. irminia and B. harmorii - and yes, never regretted it. Plus, had some great help from the guys here in the start (cheers guys, you know who you are!)

Which do you see the most and see the least (in general, as I know it differs depending on the sp)?
Of those I started out with? Phaedra was always reclusive, overall saw my harmorii obviously more often.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Majority of my collection is arboreal. They take up less space and I just enjoy them better than terrestrial.

I do have a few terrestrial and fossorial species but arboreal is where my heart is at.

To be specific, NW arboreal species.