Fossorial substrate depth

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
So Im planning on putting an adult H. Gigas in a 35 liter really useful box, its 11 inches high and I was going to put 8 inches of substrate in, that would leave 3 inches of clearance between substrate and the lid, is that too low or would it work?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
If it were my spider, I'd personally give an adult H. gigas a bit more head room. Also you should consider that there needs to be a place for the T to dump all the stuff that it excavates and digs through. 3 inches doesn't sound like it leaves a whole lot of room for the substrate to go. Just remember in order for the T to build elaborate tunnels, which is what you want, there needs to be room to rearrange the interior.

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
Thats what I was thinking...but I'm finding it hard to find decent options for housing, taking into consideration it'll need around 8 inches of substrate plus additional head room for dumping.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Giving 6" to 7" of substrate instead should work for that enclosure height, and you can scoop up and throw away dumped substrate.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Thats what I was thinking...but I'm finding it hard to find decent options for housing, taking into consideration it'll need around 8 inches of substrate plus additional head room for dumping.
Zilla has a tall skinny box, don’t know if you need width but it’s 6x8x14 and costs about $33. Opens from the top, no mesh. Might be a better fit for depth and headspace.

Last edited:

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
I'll probably go with 7 inches if substrate myself, that gives 4 inches of head space for it to dump bedding.

I wouldn't feel right giving a hgigas less.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
agreed. Mine will be for a C Darlingi. I may go 14 x 8 x 10 as well

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
If height becomes a problem I just remove the dug-up dirt.
I only really do it if it starts to block vent holes - I'm sure they like the mounds outside of their entrances so I try not to mess with it too much.

Also, piggies like my vagans tend to attack when I do this, another reason I don't do it too much.
he's not scared... trust me. Hes just fat.