Fossorial sling enclosure.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
When a fossorial sling outgrows its first enclosure how much depth do you give yours?
I usually keep mine in vials when they are tiny then re house into a deli cup. But I have saved an old coffee sweetener container (the sort of thing you could use for a juvi arboreal). It is the same diameter as the usual deli cup but is 7 inches deep. Do you think this would be too much depth (if there is such a thing) for a sling when its outgrown that vial stage?
I believe in giving as much substrate as possible but was wondering about prey / predator interaction?
Any opinions welcome.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Substrate dephs fir fossorials are more important for larger animals. Slings, not that important, but maybe 2 inches is good for a sling?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I am of the habit of giving them a little more than the least amount they are comfortable with. I don't think it would be too much in that size container. It will probably eat just fine. Just hope that it digs near the side if you plan on seeing more than its feet.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
OK, thanks for your responses. Maybe then the usual deli cup option is better?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When a fossorial sling outgrows its first enclosure how much depth do you give yours?
I usually keep mine in vials when they are tiny then re house into a deli cup. But I have saved an old coffee sweetener container (the sort of thing you could use for a juvi arboreal). It is the same diameter as the usual deli cup but is 7 inches deep. Do you think this would be too much depth (if there is such a thing) for a sling when its outgrown that vial stage?
I believe in giving as much substrate as possible but was wondering about prey / predator interaction?
Any opinions welcome.
It should be fine- you could do less if it calms your concerns