Feedback Forum Update Feedback

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Where'd the "unanswered threads" section go? did it just get merged with new posts?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Well... thanks to the new forum I finally discovered what Trophy Points are. Only took about 15 years. I'm also in awe of my temporal anomaly, having joined AB about 5 years before I was born. How's that for dedication to a web site?
I'm now suspecting AB is in part a devious plan on behalf of @MrDeranged to instill a little surrealism in it's members lives. I'll give him a few trophy points for that as soon as I find the drop down menu.:eek:

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@MrDeranged

Two things:

1. I could be wrong, BUT I think the new forum displays the font at a smaller size in any of the forums. Is there a way to fix this?

2. The highlighted issue I mentioned before has cropped up in a new, and another important place. When I type in @ and a few letters etc, the context menu with all the possible names appears. I'm telling you now, The color used to highlight a name is virtually invisible. Can this please be fixed?

Instead of using the "lightning bolt", have you tried using the "New posts"? I don't believe that they're quite the same.

View attachment 332562

Also, when you use "New posts" you should see the following:

View attachment 332563

As for the editor issue, this is the first that I'm hearing of it, but I will try to look into it further.

As you MAY recall, I like to see the new threads- you created 3 bookmarks for me when I was beta testing the last version for you (I USE THEM everyday!)

With the new engine is there a way to see the new threads with a click or two? I like my bookmarks plenty, but if there's an advanced way of seeing the newest threads, I'd be interested.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
@MrDeranged

Two things:

1. I could be wrong, BUT I think the new forum displays the font at a smaller size in any of the forums. Is there a way to fix this?

2. The highlighted issue I mentioned before has cropped up in a new, and another important place. When I type in @ and a few letters etc, the context menu with all the possible names appears. I'm telling you now, The color used to highlight a name is virtually invisible. Can this please be fixed?

As you MAY recall, I like to see the new threads- you created 3 bookmarks for me when I was beta testing the last version for you (I USE THEM everyday!)

With the new engine is there a way to see the new threads with a click or two? I like my bookmarks plenty, but if there's an advanced way of seeing the newest threads, I'd be interested.
1. Font is the same size
2. Looking into it.

I don't believe there is a way to just see the "new threads". The choices are currently:

Unanswered Threads

Sorry about that

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hmmm, I just made a change to the "What's New" page. There should now be a list of the 50 most recent threads. I don't believe it will take into account if they've been read or not, but that's the best that can currently be done.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmmm, I just made a change to the "What's New" page. There should now be a list of the 50 most recent threads. I don't believe it will take into account if they've been read or not, but that's the best that can currently be done.
I appreciate you looking into this!

Interestingly the links you made me with the older engine still work!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
@MrDeranged Would it be possible to increase how much unread threads stand out (in comparison to threads you've already read)? The old version had a badge that made unread threads stand out much better.

I find that the bold title doesn't stand out enough.

NewPosts.png

Thanks!

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
@MrDeranged Would it be possible to increase how much unread threads stand out (in comparison to threads you've already read)? The old version had a badge that made unread threads stand out much better.

I find that the bold title doesn't stand out enough.

View attachment 333622

Thanks!
@MrDeranged pointed me to a similar but different option in the "new posts" button - perhaps try that out, it's much closer to the old behavior in that it actually only shows threads with replies you haven't yet seen or true new threads.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
@MrDeranged pointed me to a similar but different option in the "new posts" button - perhaps try that out, it's much closer to the old behavior in that it actually only shows threads with replies you haven't yet seen or true new threads.
Is that for new posts on all boards or for a specific board? I usually prefer to read one board at a time and am less interested in the non-spider boards.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Is that for new posts on all boards or for a specific board? I usually prefer to read one board at a time and am less interested in the non-spider boards.
It appears to be for all subs.

Please let me know if you figure anything out. :) It's a learning curve for us as well. We can only test so much before we have to let you guys use it and then really find out all the things that we didn't notice were issues ;)
Different browsers and different keyboards do not seem to make any difference. Same jumping is seen with Firefox, Chrome, and duckduckgo browsers, as well as with all 3 of my regularly used soft keyboards. I think it's an artifact of the tiny amount of screen real estate left for the editor window after cramming in the header menu, footer menu, formatting menu, keyboard, and emoji bar. When I utilize the "request desktop page" option, this behavior does stop, but the font size is prohibitively small. If there were a way to (optionally) disable the header or footer menus or both, I don't think it would be an issue.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
It's all boards. There is currently no way for a user to filter out specific forums from the new posts page. To stop posts from specific forums appearing I would have to turn them off for everyone. An all or nothing solution is not one that I'm currently contemplating. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It's all boards. There is currently no way for a user to filter out specific forums from the new posts page. To stop posts from specific forums appearing I would have to turn them off for everyone. An all or nothing solution is not one that I'm currently contemplating. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Is there an option to add a little badge to threads with new posts when viewing a single board?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm looking into making threads with new posts a little more noticeable.
The bold text has been working fine for me but... I'm thinking of an old trick commonly used in Linux ANSI where special text, notifications etc, were given the color that was on the opposite side of the color wheel for extra contrast. The code would run a background color check then a sub routine would simply flag the text to be enhanced with ---------------- Forgot the word. Been 25 years.

BTW MrD, the toggle for the BB code turns black (rainforest style) when in BB code edit mode and is hard to find the turn it off. Would be better if it went from bold to normal or visa versa.

Last edited:

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
BTW MrD, the toggle for the BB code turns black (rainforest style) when in BB code edit mode and is hard to find the turn it off. Would be better if it went from bold to normal or visa versa.
Can you please post a screenshot of what you're talking about please?