Feedback Forum Update Feedback

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Maybe not the right place to post this, but I love the new look and feel. The site, in general, seems to perform faster too.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Glad that you're liking it. The newer software is built to utilize the newer back end more efficiently, so there will hopefully be performance improvements all around.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
There are a couple of things I actually dislike about the update. @MrDeranged is there a more "official" avenue for discussing such, or is this thread appropriate?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
There are a couple of things I actually dislike about the update. @MrDeranged is there a more "official" avenue for discussing such, or is this thread appropriate?
You can always start a conversation with me if you'd like to keep it private.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
You can always start a conversation with me if you'd like to keep it private.
No need for privacy, just didn't want to derail this thread if you have a preferred other avenue. The issues are rather minor and are certainly not "sensitive", so I'll just mention them here, if you prefer to split it to a different thread, please do.

1st is the fact that in the "what's new" view (lightning bolt icon in top bar), the threads with new replies and those without are both shown, only differentiated by bold font in the title for those with new replies. The old behavior of only showing threads with new activity was much easier to use on mobile.

2nd is the absence of a "mark forums read" in said top menu bar. As far as I can tell, the only way to mark all as read is to pull out the side menu, open the forums sub menu and then mark as read.

These are 2 small but annoying changes combine to make keeping current much less intuitive and makes what used to be a very simple workflow feel clunky.

3rd, the editor when replying on mobile keeps jumping around hiding itself behind my keyboard such that I can't see what I've already typed without repeatedly dragging the window back into view.

To be clear, I like much of the revamp, and performance does seem better, but useability seems to have suffered.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
1st is the fact that in the "what's new" view (lightning bolt icon in top bar), the threads with new replies and those without are both shown, only differentiated by bold font in the title for those with new replies. The old behavior of only showing threads with new activity was much easier to use on mobile.
Even on the desktop version, the threads with new posts are not as conspicuous as they were before.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Instead of using the "lightning bolt", have you tried using the "New posts"? I don't believe that they're quite the same.

1580505521453.png

Also, when you use "New posts" you should see the following:

1580505641916.png

As for the editor issue, this is the first that I'm hearing of it, but I will try to look into it further.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I'll add also that the change to post reactions, both the fact that the icon for a given reaction changed (informative is now a star for example) and that the text version of said post reaction not being shown are going to at least take some getting used to. (Probably the least significant, but worth mentioning)

Instead of using the "lightning bolt", have you tried using the "New posts"? I don't believe that they're quite the same.

View attachment 332562

Also, when you use "New posts" you should see the following:

View attachment 332563

As for the editor issue, this is the first that I'm hearing of it, but I will try to look into it further.
That new posts vs what's new is much closer to the old behavior, but still lacks the immediate single-click simplicity of the lightning bolt simply because it isn't present in the persistent menu bar. Thanks for the tip, I'll use that view instead, but would love if the persistent menu had it available (or if the persistent menu lightning bolt defaulted to "new posts" instead of "what's new".

Edited to add - after further use of the "new posts" view, my concern about the persistent menu lightning bolt being more convenient is greatly reduced as I see that there is indeed a link to "new posts" in the second from top menu bar for the forum view. It'll just be a change of habit for me to click that vs going straight to the lightning bolt.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
There's going to be a small learning curve for everyone I think. Like with any new OS, once you get used to the new quirks, you'll hopefully forget all about the "old" way of doing things. :D

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
There's going to be a small learning curve for everyone I think. Like with any new OS, once you get used to the new quirks, you'll hopefully forget all about the "old" way of doing things. :D
How dare you sir. How dare you bring logic into an internet discussion forum. ;)
The bouncing editor (which I suspect is from the draft saving and notification of new messages in thread processes) is about the only one of my niggles that I don't think I can just get used to. I will do some further testing with different mobile browsers to see if it behaves differently and if I can find a browser which doesn't exhibit that behavior.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
How dare you sir. How dare you bring logic into an internet discussion forum. ;)
The bouncing editor (which I suspect is from the draft saving and notification of new messages in thread processes) is about the only one of my niggles that I don't think I can just get used to. I will do some further testing with different mobile browsers to see if it behaves differently and if I can find a browser which doesn't exhibit that behavior.
Please let me know if you figure anything out. :) It's a learning curve for us as well. We can only test so much before we have to let you guys use it and then really find out all the things that we didn't notice were issues ;)

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hello all, as a serious invertebrate enthusiast I am very happy to see Arachnoboards, the premier place for connecting with other hobbyists, is back up. However, I have some (hopefully) constructive criticism.

First, let me start out by saying the new buttons and pages at the top (What's new, Reviews, Media, et. al) are excellent. Really like how the images are larger than in the previous version, and how easy it is to access what you need to. Also find the new (or maybe they are old, and just easier to change now) styles interesting; I personally don't mess with them, but I can see how others would appreciate it.

That said, hmm, how do I put this.
The Arachnoboards style has been compromised. In my opinion, the new format has taken away all the uniqueness that was this forum. It now looks like every single other online board out there; it's been "Facebook-ified" if you take my meaning. The way the ratings look...let's just say I really appreciated the un-conformity that were the prior rating symbols, as opposed to the ubiquitous Facebook symbols we have now. The Private Messages and Alerts buttons don't pop up when the mouse is hovered over them; the gallery photos on the main page are waaay too small and their info doesn't pop up when the mouse is hovered over them; related threads don't pop up when you go to create a new one; the site just seems stretched out overall with wasted space; and so on.
Granted these are all little things, but taken together they make the use of the forums less aesthetic, more time-consuming, and overall less enjoyable to use.

Please don't take this as an attack moderators and staff. I am merely expressing my concerns, which I know at least a few other users share as well. I super appreciate all of the time and effort all y'all have invested into making this an awesome place to discuss the hobby. I am at issue with the format, not the content nor people.

I do not have a solution to these problems, as I am unfamiliar with the way the site is updated. I will say however that if we could just get even a few of these things returned to the way they were before, if that is even possible, myself and perhaps other's would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Arthroverts

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So glad to see the site back up, and for the most part it looks great - but I do miss some of the information that was previously available.

When I click into my profile, it tells me my message count for the last 45 days - but no longer provides the message count for the last 15 days or last month, both of which were useful numbers because it let me keep an eye on when my "active user" status might expire, rather than it simply being unexpectedly over when those messages dropped out of the 45 day window.

Is it possible to get that information added back in? Or is it already available, but I'm just not looking for it in the right spot, or need to change a setting or something?

Thank you!

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
First, let me start out by saying the new buttons and pages at the top (What's new, Reviews, Media, et. al) are excellent. Really like how the images are larger than in the previous version, and how easy it is to access what you need to. Also find the new (or maybe they are old, and just easier to change now) styles interesting; I personally don't mess with them, but I can see how others would appreciate it.
Glad that you like them. The styles are the same as they have been since our first "major" upgrade back in 2011, updated for different software of course.

That said, hmm, how do I put this.
The Arachnoboards style has been compromised. In my opinion, the new format has taken away all the uniqueness that was this forum. It now looks like every single other online board out there; it's been "Facebook-ified" if you take my meaning. The way the ratings look...let's just say I really appreciated the un-conformity that were the prior rating symbols, as opposed to the ubiquitous Facebook symbols we have now.
I'll have to agree to disagree with you here. IMO, the reactions are just one small element of the website as a whole and have very little bearing on the "uniqueness" of the forum. In the old version, we were using old, lo res versions of smilies for the reactions. The forum software now comes with hi res emoji's for reaction use. While they may look "Facebook-ified" I don't think that makes them any less valid or better looking than what we had.. It's all down to personal taste.

The Private Messages and Alerts buttons don't pop up when the mouse is hovered over them;
This comes down to uniformity of interaction. In the interest of using the same actions across desktop or mobile, the "popping up" was removed as there is really no way to "hover" on a mobile device. Since you had to click to get a pop up on mobile, they made the software have to click to get a pop up on desktop. Users don't want to use one action on mobile and then have to remember to use a different action on desktop. It's called evolving web standards :) As with any new software, things change, you get used to them and forget the old way of doing them.