Problem Forum Bug

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
Hello, in the past few weeks logging onto this site, everytime and only on this site i get Spammy ADs that pop up. It might need a little attention. If i clear the browser i can browse the site without a problem, but once i exit and reload the page next time, it happens again. I can provide a screenshot if necessary. It attempts to redirect me to this site.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Ads are random and generated by google. We have zero control over what is shown. However, we were informed some time ago that it does have something to do with the individuals search history. But please feel free to add a acreenshot if you like. :)

Debby

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ads are random and generated by google. We have zero control over what is shown.
Just to interject, these are more than simple banner ads. They're even more than popups. They are legitimately malicious obstructions that disable the 'back' button and actually redirect users away from Arachnoboards and towards maleware-ridden links. This only started with the new hosting service.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just to interject, these are more than simple banner ads.
I -think- @Arachnopets is correct. I have updated ad and banner blockers always active and am seeing no intrusions. Firefox is also told to never follow re-directs.

Platform: Win 7, Firefox updated with security features active and cache cleared weekly, Ublock Origin always active.

If available, I suggest all browsers have tracking protection active. In Firefox, Options -> Privacy and Security -> Tracking Protection -> Block Known Trackers

@shutout2000 A screenshot might help. The Google rules of these ads are if you have any history of accepting or authorizing certain sites, Google records and remembers this, taking it as license to redirect your browser any time any similar flagged site, banner or pop-up is encountered. From that point on, your browser can be automatically redirected by any of their sites until you clear your cache or browsing history.

Once you have been redirected, the new site can take control of parts of that browsing window such as blocking or disabling reversing your browsing. This is why you instruct your browser to always open new web pages in new tabs or windows.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A public service warning to everyone

Returning to my comp on day I saw a web page starting to open then that tab was closed, then repeat over and over and over. What the hey??
I had a slightly funky add on blocking program in FF. It detected a blacklisted web page being opened and it closed it. The site and cached data tried to open that other site again and so on.
If your browser locks up or your browsing suddenly comes to a halt or is very slow and your solution is to close and reopen your browser which fixes the issue, there is a good chance something similar is going on: Browser automatic mode vs cached persistent ad or banner redirect.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
I guess I should add a correction. The only ads we have any control over are the ones that are purchased from us. As of now, there is only one running and that is definitely not having any issues.

I asked Scott about this and he said that we will need a screen shot of the malicious ad, and if possible the URL. That would be the most helpful way in us trying to narrow down the search some. So if anyone has this information, please provide it here and we will look into this further.

Debby