"Forrest bottle"

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
(I posted this in the wrong channel, could a moderator maybe move this to "Insects and other arthropods?)
Hey everyone
This might be a bit weird, but last year i had the idea to make a "terarrium" out of a big glass vase. 1491318012378-819135724.jpg after a few weeks, mould started to plague itand i started losing hope until i introduced some isopods. It's getting very under control now. It currently contains an unditermined amount of millipedes, but the population seems to be around 30-40. 4 Lithobius forficatus, a beetle larva (that i can't seem to find anymore) with the head kinda like that of a hammerhead shark and a newly introduced beetle. I'll update as things change or i introduce new inverts. 20170404_165510.jpg 20170404_165525.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Lovely at the eyes indeed but 'Cons' IMO are:

- ventilation

- octopus. They love to open those kind of bottles so pay attention :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Bunyan van Asten

Yup, obviously my man that there's holes in the cap. But my concern is if that ventilation is enough but anyway, anyway... the major issues here are octopus. After flying pigs searching for truffles, cheerleaders riding sharks etc on my book octopus sneaking into homes are a serious issue :)

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If the sun hits that just right, it will get very, very hot inside. Some things may outright die, or slowly waste away over time as temperature stress gets to them. Passive ventilation from the holes will not provide sufficient heat exchange to keep things comfortable inside if it warms up.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Unique idea but I see a lot of flaws with regards to poor ventilation and temperature control.