Forest scorpion misting system...

EMPro

Arachnopeon
I am lookin to do a simple misting system on the new 50 gallon setup that I am goin to do in order to keep the high humidity and give a rainforest effect... I thought about a bubbler that makes a very fine mist or even a miniature misting system that would help keep a higher humidity in the tank. Has anyone done this before? Any success? What worked, what didn't? Give me some ideas... thanks!!!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
In my opinion this is not worth the money/time/effort etc.

First of all, you can maintain quite sufficient humidity using a layer of gravel in the bottom of the enclosure that is kept flooded with water. John, Edward and I (among others) all use this technique with great success. This system has the advantage that it does not involve spraying (which scorps don't like), is somewhat self-regulating (as humidity rises, less water will evaporate and thus it won't get soaked) and can't break down.

If you do want a misting type effect, may I suggest you go one of two routes. One person on another forum about a year ago used a fogger in a water dish type setup. It created quite an appealing mist once or twice a day (can't remember). It kept the humidity up and looked quite nice.

Route two is a rain system. Just make some sort of a perforated container into which you pump water ... it falls like rain and then perculates through the soil and gets pumped up again. this system would be prone to clogging, a pain to setup and maintain ... but it would be neat.

Cheers,
Dave

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen those fogging machines. They're not cheap (about $75). Like Dave said, it's not really worth it. It would look cool, but other than that it would have the same effect as the under gravel system (which I use as well). It's possible that the fog would add more condensed water to the air--that is to say, tiny little water particles--but I can't imagine the scorpions would gain much from that.

If you end up using a fogging system, post a pic. Like I said, it would look great. But in terms of keeping the scorpions happy, you really don't need to spend that much money.

Peace,
Chris

cul3one104

Arachnopeon
Hi, I have a small plastic tank inside my 20L. I fill it up with water and I put a fogger inside. I also have a timer connected to it, to make it fog 4 times a day and half an hour each time. I also have moss all around the smalll tank so it can absorb the moisture. I also have a real plant inside the tank also. I use the under gravel trick also. The tank looks pretty moist and when the fogger starts it's really a nice scene. But I really thought the under gravel trick is really fine. The small tank cost me $5 and the fogger cost me $40. I think the fogger is more of a looker than what you want it to do.

Dwight

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Indeed, as Skinheaddave said, I do use the underlying gravel technique with great success. But, a part of the 75 gallon enclosure I posted that can't be seen, is a misting unit. That's one way the moss and plants in the enclosures grow so well. I have a windshield washer pump (freebie from work), washer tubing (also free from work) and dowel rods cut to plug and pin holes in the hose ends, before the dowels plug them. It splits off to ten enclosures because the pump's output is so high for a single enclosure and I also have a valve for quantity adjustment in the lines, so the 75 gal gets more than any other tanks. I have it run off a 12volt battery with a toggle switch for on off control right now. I'm working on a design for a timer, for switch on, twice per day for a period of fifteen seconds, to prevent overwatering. I have roughly twelve to fifteen dollars in it. I got the idea from the vegetable section in the local WalMart with it's misting system. The only things I actually purchased for it were, a ten gallon tank, for water supply, the dowel rods, to plug the tubing, and a valve, made for aquarium air lines. If I would've purchased the w/washer pump, it would've added about fiteen bucks and the tubing would've added about 2 bucks. Keep in mind, w/washer pumps have a high output and would be too high for a single enclosure, even a 90 gallon (my friend at the local pet shop attempted to install a setup similar to mine on a single enclosure and it was waaay too much water output!). Keep in mind, smaller pumps can be found for pretty cheap too. I just went with the one I did because it was the best for my budget.

adios,
edw. =D