Forcepts/tweezers - what to get - where to go.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I looked at the supply link and was surprized to find nothing on cage cleaning equip.

So I thought I'd ask.

I have a wonderful pair of tweezers that are about 4.5" long and curved. I have used them for a scoop as well as typical "tweezing"

I'd like to get a larger/longer pair - as well as maybe a few other types.

I have my Avac vercicolor in a 7" container and I can't get the crix out that are dead that he isn't eating... I can't reach the bottom and he'd get out if I fully took the top off. (My smaller AV webbed up a corner and is much easyer to deal with.)

I'd like to know what people use - are thouse "kinked" forcepts any good? how about the scissor ones? what do you use... and where is a good place to get them?

I did a search and came up with medical supply places... but the choices are overwelming.

I've seen some REALLY large ones at the exotic pet store - but they are too big for the most part and I can pick things up better with the curved rather then straight ends.

Any suggestions would be great. :)

- Sharon

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got a 3 pack off of Ebay for around $6 + shipping.

It was 2 10" and 1 12" tweezers...

I didn't have any idea where to look for them locally.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I got my 12" tweezers from a science store that sells lab equiptment.
I also bought a set of long needle nose pliers from home depot.
The pliers are awsome, it's a set of 4, one is straight, two are curved, and one is at a 90 degree angle.
they are great for getting to hard to reach places, as well as getting heavier water dishes out of the more agressive species
I hope this helps

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
The longer medical forceps are for sale pretty cheap on ebay.
For cleaning the sides of the tanks, I have one of those magnetic fish tank scrapers. I just got it though and am not totally convinced yet. But, I sure prefer it to putting my hand in there.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try a used tool supply, they usually have these, and very cheap as well. The one I go to in Tulsa is named "ReTool" and they have a very large selection of old used medical forceps, tweezers ans the like for about .69 cents each.

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got mine from a local reptile pet store but, I have seen them for sale at both petco and pet supplies plus. They may even have them at petsmart, but I have not been there to see if they did. Both of the other places had both the wooden ones with the curved ends and the metal straight ones. If any of these stores are in your area, you might try them.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got mine from a local reptile pet store but, I have seen them for sale at both petco and pet supplies plus. They may even have them at petsmart, but I have not been there to see if they did. Both of the other places had both the wooden ones with the curved ends and the metal straight ones. If any of these stores are in your area, you might try them.
I have checked Petsmart and never found any tweezers there. Now in Petco I have seen the Bamboo curved ones but I only see the small ones. The large ones are always out of stock. Amazingly both the large and small ons are the same price:?

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi. Thanks for the ideas. :)

I like the set on widgets - but I admit I perfer the curved... I can pick stuff up with my curved tweezers easyer then with the stright ones I have... mostly crix.

My Avac Verci fianlly ate so I don't have to figure out how to get the crix out - but I know that in the future I'll need longer "tongs"

The exotic petstore I go to has some .. but these are REALLY big... like 2 feet. I think they are designed to feed large argressive reptiles.

They also have "scissor" forcepts... not sure if I can use thouse.

- Sharon

Flagg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought the bamboo tweezers from Petco, they broke within a few days.