Force feeding

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
Is there a viable way to force feed a defensive spider? I'm talking 'bout my A.Ezendami AF. I got her like 4 months ago and she still haven't settled in. She is always wondering around. I've seen her eat twice in my care, but now she is not eating for like 2 months and she is very very slim. Her enclosure is fine, she has a water dish so this is not the case. Any sugestions on how to force feed?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Sounds like "she" is a mature male. Post a pic of the pedipalps. And no, to my knowledge, there is definitely no way to force feed a tarantula.

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
She is not a mature male and there is a way to force feed the non-defensive species, but I'm wondering 'bout the defensive ones.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
That is not even remotely close to force feeding (didn't work anyways). That's simply assisting, just the same as dripping water on a dehydrated T's mouth. As far as I know, it would be physically impossible to force feed a tarantula.

Not knocking what you may or may not know, but what you describe, sounds exactly like an expiring MM. Even if it is a female, pics of her and the enclosure will still help everyone help you.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, that only works on a very sick Theraphosid, and is not considered force feeding but helping the spider to get at least some food or water. ;)
If you don't mind and want answers, you could post some pictures of spider and set up.

Edit: sorry for the echo...

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
I am unable to get pictures at this moment. She has a lot of substrate ~10 inches, humidity is always around 60-65%. I have Ezendami spiderling and its doing very well, but I got this female was very slim since the moment i got her and she managed to have a few meals, but she looks very weak at this moment. The thing that makes me nervous is the fact that she didn't even attempt to burrow or use her hide.

cold blood

Staff member
humidity is always around 60-65%
You are measuring humidity? For a baboon??

Bone dry with a water dish, its that simple, they have zero humidity requirements.

I will say that they can take their sweet time to construct a burrow, but it should eventually.

I'm scratching my head about a thin female not eating.

Hopefully you can get a pic soon.

cold blood

Staff member
That's not nearly worrisome slim...you say its slimmer now...it shouldn't be that much thinner....I feed mine every 2-3 weeks, its not like they need to be fed at a constant rate. I also feed larger prey items like dubia and supers (I see you were feeding supers, too).

Exoticas

Arachnopeon
I think she won't make it. Not sure what is wrong. She is very weak at this point, I can't describe it very well, but she is struggling to move her legs, looks like it takes her extra effort to move, not in a DKS way. I wish i knew what is wrong and could help her somehow.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You shouldn't consider the "humidity number/s %" at all.

I tell you those are a big (if not the biggest) cancer of this hobby.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The spider from the pic seems fine. Btw have you tried something else, aside for worms? Just saying, uh :-s