Forbidding Poecilotheria as pets?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A lot of conservation sites(IUCN) for example-state that captive breeding cannot keep up with the demand. I find this surprising. What is the take on this from you guys?

(this would perhaps be the case for P. metallica-but most other pokie species are now at least semi-affordable and some are very common as CB now)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I'm writing to Wild Earth Guardians. Here is my email. I suggest you do the same, and be POLITE and CIVIL and try to sound like you know what you're talking about, ha.

Your petition to ban the ownership of captive tarantulas in the genus Poecilotheria is ill advised.

Wild caught Poecilotheria are extremely rare in the hobby, the vast majority of Poecilotheria kept in the US are captive bred. Poecilotheria are defensive and tricky to keep, and although their venom is not life threatening it is more medically significant than most species of tarantula. As a result most keepers of Poecilotheria are experienced spider keepers with genuine love for the animals.

Your ban will only hurt people who you should be partnering with to help protect these beautiful creatures, and since there is very little importing of wild caught Poecilotheria in the hobby in the US it will not help very many spiders.

The best way to help Poecilotheria tarantulas is to protect their native habitats, and to encourage responsible captive breeding for the pet trade.
Well done, 6String:clap:

Folks, this is a chance to educate. Why not put our fangs and jerking knees away momentarily and follow the above example. I know I will. We can either throw frass at them from our pedestals or we can step down and be intelligently and civilly direct.

missscarlett

Arachnopeon
Great logic and a great reply

:clap::worship:
I may be wrong but Mexico clamping down on B. smithii seemed to shut off the flow of WC animals in the US and probably elsewhere. That does reduce the removal of animals from the wild which is NEVER bad for a declining species as many of the Poecilotheria appear to be. I wonder if B. smithii is now stabilizing or are other factors continuiing the decline since its removal from export.

A few Cites I reptiles and many CITEs II are currently in captivity and are unregulated here: Argentine boa, Dumerils boa are both CITES I and readily available. Radiated tortoises are available but pricy. I would guess that all Australian tarantulas (as well as herps) available are the result of illegal smuggling since that country has strict export regulations. Even indigo snakes (US Threatened) are often available, although paperwork should be obtained due to the potential for a legal wrangle that exists if they aren't.

Protection for these species would prohibit importation without proper paperwork and reduce smuggling which is a good thing. The best protection for the species would come from India and Sri Lanka, though I don't know where that is going since CITES was not approved.

I support what the petitioners are trying to do and will contact them as a conservation-minded tarantula hobbyist.

AS for theri trying to make anyone appear stupid....that is nonsense. They were making crystal clear that they were using the common terminology of "tarantula" to mean Theraphosid spiders and not the original wolf spiders.

Captive breeding can stem the flow of WC although that has not been the case for rose hairs, pink toes, emperor scorpions and many other commonly available arachnids and herps. That argument does not work in all cases.

It IS important that we take extra care in preserving the lineages of those species of Poecilotheria petitioned. They as a declining species may be necessary for reintroduction if wild occurring populations become extinct due to habitat loss. That is a last resort but we ought to make sure it is available if needed. This is where the argument of NO HYBRIDS carries a lot of weight. The petitioned species ought to be bred based on locality and obviously species to preserve the genetic diversity that may be unique in each population. Those speces that have fragmented/isolated populations ought to be studied further to determine their relationship before breeding across localities. We may inadvertantly creating hybrids by doing so.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As long as they don't touch the Ts that I already have and don't prevent captive breeding, I am all for regulation.

jimip

Arachnosquire
so whats the first step who do we right how do we make sure we protect the species and not hurt our trade. how do we approve of it and still make sure we can have our cb species?

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First and foremost, relax. This is a petition only, meaning it's nothing more than some ideas formally submitted for review.

Second, read the thread on the ATS site. It has some great information regarding the laws and regulations.

http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26838&p=193519

Third, read everything you can get your hands on, which has been peer reviewed. The opinions on any discussion board, are only those. We can not hope to "fight" what we deem as negative opinions with hot headed opinions. Anger and fear will not win the day against what appears to be rational thoughts.

Lastly, after many long years in this hobby and other animal related hobbies, you learn to collect your thoughts before charging off with lances drawn.

Relax, it's just an idea at this point.

jimip

Arachnosquire
could we draw attention to it because its a good idea and have it change to something we dont have to worry about?

ps how can we look up these kind of laws and regulations.

Last edited by a moderator:

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
could we draw attention to it because its a good idea and have it change to something we dont have to worry about?

ps how can we look up these kind of laws and regulations.
If you want to check the laws for yourself:

Import/Export and Transport of wildlife:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...3&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title50/50cfr14_main_02.tpl

CITES Regulations:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...3&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title50/50cfr23_main_02.tpl

Endangered Species Act:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title50/50cfr17a_main_02.tpl

ArachnidJackson

Arachnopeon
Thank you!

I have just found the following posting. (Thanks-a-bunch ArachnidJackson!)

http://arachnophiles.myfreeforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9434

And was thereby directed to the following document.

http://www.wildearthguardians.org/s..._11_tarantulas.pdf?docID=683&AddInterest=1059

Do any of the rest of you know anything about this? Any idea of whether it has been formally submitted yet? Any idea of where the USF&WLS is in considering or enacting this proposal?

No thanks required my friend, just doing my duty to the hobby.
Thanks for getting a hold of it and passing it on even more.
Articles like this need to be made aware to people that it may concern.
Regardless of the outcome or the level of seriousness, it's great reading material to have under the belt of the general keeper/breeder.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just sent a calm but annoyed letter to the wild earth guardians. I tried to focus on the valid points being discussed here. I said that it will remove captive breeding which prevents thousands of pokies from being born every year wile not effecting the wild population in any way at all. I suggest you all write emails also. :clap:

jimip

Arachnosquire
hey let me know if they answer. i dont really feel like formulating a good logical argument for the recycle bin.

phily1579

Arachnopeon
If they want to protect these species as well as every other species as well, stop cutting down forests for more people.people stop putting ur homes on a mountain. The world is just to populated for anything to live except for humans. I love my pokies n all my captive breed ts! U want to save the ts. Captive breed them my fellow t collecting brothers!!