"foraging" substrate for Ts

hunnaB

Arachnopeon
I live on the east coast and there is lots of nature all around. I'm wanting to make a bioactive terrarium using the fauna of my region. I am new to the tarantula realm, so I am looking for advice if it is safe to use plants, moss, leaf litter, etc. from outside inside a T enclosure.

I plan to use potting soil and peat moss (maybe some coco husk) as substrate, but with this, I was thinking of maybe adding some of the decomposing leaf litter from a leaf pile in my yard. There seems to be a decent amount of nematodes and springtails crawling throughout it, I think those would be good for recycling purposes. I would probably add some moss and maybe a vining-ground plant or something similar.

Idk, any advice would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This may not be the best idea. There could be any number of critters in the soil that could harm your T. Not a good idea IMO.

Also you’ll end up growing mold more than needed.

Decomposing leaf litter is a bad idea too IMO.

So are plants- they get covered in webbing.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Bioactive setups are NOT recommended for beginners to tarantulas. Virtually all beginner friendly species do not need, and would not benefit from, a bioactive setup

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
There are definitly some risks involved, and for a true bioactive enclosure you would need to do a lot of research first.

It cant hurt however to introduce a few springtails.

Other animals commonly associated with cleaning crews of bioactive terrariums could potentialy harm a freshly molted tarantula as some of them can be carnivourous if they have too little sustenance otherwise. Some species are safer than others in this regard.

Also some mite larvae can be parasitic.

If there are pesticides used around the area you collected the soil that could be dangerous too.

I wouldnt recommend it early on but if you do your research you could definitly try.

I personally do use a mixture of potting soil, and clay rich topsoil i sourced from a safe lokation simply because i dont like to use cocofibre but i am aware that there is much that could go wrong.

Just be aware of what you are doing and it is fine to make your own choices. Ignorance is the biggest treat to your Ts.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If you want to make a bio active enclosure go ahead but just make it a plants only enslosure and then have a tarantula with fake plants enclosure. Best to try and not mix the two at this point in your experience level. Both separate will be fun and rewarding in their own rite

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I live on the east coast and there is lots of nature all around. I'm wanting to make a bioactive terrarium using the fauna of my region. I am new to the tarantula realm, so I am looking for advice if it is safe to use plants, moss, leaf litter, etc. from outside inside a T enclosure.

I plan to use potting soil and peat moss (maybe some coco husk) as substrate, but with this, I was thinking of maybe adding some of the decomposing leaf litter from a leaf pile in my yard. There seems to be a decent amount of nematodes and springtails crawling throughout it, I think those would be good for recycling purposes. I would probably add some moss and maybe a vining-ground plant or something similar.

Idk, any advice would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks!
I have used soil from outside as substrate and have never had problems. But i collected the soil from far into the woods. You have to be sure there have been no pesticides, which you cant be sure of, but the soil you buy in the store have been taken from nature so i dont see the diffrence really? I also often use bark i collect in the forrests and again, no problems

hunnaB

Arachnopeon
I have used soil from outside as substrate and have never had problems. But I collected the soil from far into the woods. You have to be sure there have been no pesticides, which you cant be sure of, but the soil you buy in the store has been taken from nature so I dont see the difference really? I also often use bark i collect in the forrests and again, no problems
Alright, this is what I am thinking as well. I sort of feel like we somehow feel like because our soil is in a plastic bag or our isopods cost X dollars, we are somehow avoiding "harmful" but this stuff had to have come from nature at some point...

I understand now wanting your supplies contaminated with pesticides, obv.

hunnaB

Arachnopeon
It cant hurt however to introduce a few springtails.
The springtails will naturally reproduce, right? So at some point do you end up with an overabundance of springtails or do they keep themselves in check? How do you go about taking care of this?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They repoduce, and at the same times die. I have never had any real explosions of them. Some periods they are plentiful and some periods they are less. It depends also how moist it is and how much food they have

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
As Vanisher said that really isn't a problem, make sure u research any organisms u introduce very carefully though, even springtails. There are lots of different springtails and they can be quite interesting.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
If you want to make a bio active enclosure go ahead but just make it a plants only enslosure and then have a tarantula with fake plants enclosure. Best to try and not mix the two at this point in your experience level. Both separate will be fun and rewarding in their own rite
I agree with this, become proficient at keeping both before trying to mix them. You really want a bioactive terrarium to be settled in and actively growing etc before adding any inhabitants.