for u youngsters havomg probs with parents

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if yur struggling to get more t's, the best way to do it is keep asking. i didnt think it was gonna work (cuz it never does) but after a good week of "hey mom check this out" or "hey mom its a good investment" i finally got my perents to durrender...never knew "ok how much money do you need" could sound so sweet...

well enough of my bragging....just a little happy if u cant tell. :)

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So what your sayin is your a kid if you are so am i. i`m new to these people.But any ways my parent`s actually encourage me to get turantulas.

bye,:) :)

Last edited:

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually, many parents want to see that their child can prove to them that they are capable of handling the responsibility long-term of caring for an animal. Ultimately, many parents often end up taking up full care for their children's pets when they tire of them. Believe me, not many parents are willing to allow a tarantula in their home, let alone care for them. Consider yourselves lucky that your parents are willing to let you even have a tarantula. With that in mind, if you ever want another pet in the future, I highly recommend that you take good care of what you have now to prove to them that you are capable of caring for an animal.

Bry

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm 15...and i've bought every one of the 8 tarantulas and 3 scorpions myself except my $40 T. blondi sling....so I guess I've put a little over $215 into the ole collection.

Risto

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was assuming that the person would have already earned all the respect of their parents and have shown themselves as being responsible. in my case, i have t's and couldnt get past the two that i have. this being an addicting hobby i used this tactic to expand my collection.

i dont want people to just beg their parents for a cool looking spider without knowing the proper caring techniques. i was just showing a way to get more...i got my first t's in december and january, so its been a while since i got new ones...anyway ill be etting a b. boehmi and b. vagans for those of who are interested.

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey i have 7 T's right now and im 15..... and my parents look pretty furm on NO MORE T'S! i may try to work on them some more though....this stuff is so addicting its unbelievable.

i have a bunch of burrowers and terrestrials and id love to start with some aboreals....like a pink toe or versicolor......then move on to something like a Togo.....but ive heard that they have a kinda nasty bite...so until i get out of the house and my twin bro and sis arent there...then i can kiss the Togo goodbye....there is always college;P

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i must say that my two Avics (an avicularia and a versicolor) are by far two of my favorite Ts. they are SUPER fast but i must say i've gotten lucky in that besides that they are really very very calm & docile. :)

beautiful Ts though, absolutely.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I come at this from the opposite direction. As a father I justified the purchase of my Ts to my wife by saying that they are for the kids. Perhaps we could do with a second thread that gives tips for getting your spouse to agree to buying more Ts.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I guess I am guilty of using my son as a cover for MY addiction:D

I go to the shows and come back with SOMETHING every time!
Not just T's either, the last time it was firebellied toads :rolleyes:

Pets pets pets and MORE pets;P Drives the hubby nuts! LOL!

Harry

Arachnopeon
For all of you having trouble with getting a first T

List all the nice things about Ts. They're clean, silent, don't need much food, stuff like that.

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, i'm 16 and have 46 T's, not to mention the scorpians and centipedes. But the thing is, my parents hate this stuff. And my dad dosen't like it, so he thinks I can't have it, lol. I've never seen people as stubborn as them. It really is funny when my dads ranting and raving about all the T's I have, he won't even step into my room, lol.
Steve

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
next time your dad rants about how many t's you have tell him at least you're addicted to t's and not crack. being 23 yo, i know how boring it can be in highschool (its pretty boring in college right now actually). i think its good you have a hobby that probably helps keep you out of trouble.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by xBurntBytheSunx
next time your dad rants about how many t's you have tell him at least you're addicted to t's and not crack. being 23 yo, i know how boring it can be in highschool (its pretty boring in college right now actually). i think its good you have a hobby that probably helps keep you out of trouble.
Argh, don't force your straightedge ways on us!

;)

Disclaimer - I don't use any 'drugs'

I'm 18 and have had spiders and other pets for the past 15 years. My first being a corn snake. first spider at 7 anyway. It was my dad, a snake breeder, who got me into them all. I now have 38 different species in my room, and steadily increasing:rolleyes: I've resorted to getting a job to fund them. My mother approves of my spiders a LOT more now that I pay for the majority of them anyway.

Doin talks to younger kids (i.e. at schools etc) always pleases them.

Hope that inspires you or something!

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The best thing to do: Once you get to a certain number, they'll lose track of how many T's you have. That way, you can buy more and more and they'll never know. Just say "I've had that one, remember? You were there when I got it!"

I like it when people say "Why did you buy 8 tarantulas?" When I have 14.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
The best thing to do: Once you get to a certain number, they'll lose track of how many T's you have. That way, you can buy more and more and they'll never know.
This does work with the spouse. At this point, my collection appears steady state to the uninterested eye because there's just so many vials, babyfood jars, kritter keepers, pickle jars, etc. Even I forgot to fetch some from the closet after hiding them for an apartment inspection and it took me a week before I noticed some were missing.

But, I've got to say I'm loathe to recommending the "so many you can't count them" approach for Ts (or anything else) to people so young they're still living with the folks. There's still college dorms and/or roommates to deal with in a fraction of a T's lifespan. You can sneak a couple of bugs into a college dorm as I know from experience. You can get roommates who would never consciously have chosen to live with a giant, hairy spider to accept a few bugs. 30+ is a whole different story and the necessity of getting on with life might result in a large volume of homeless Ts in the not so distant future.

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
But hey, collecting T's is keeping me out of alot of trouble. And being grounded for life about 8times already is keeping me in the house, I need something to do, lol. BTW, the parents never give me a straight answer why i'm grounded, so I piss them off and do what I normally would do when I'm not grounded, lol. And the reason why T's keep me out of trouble is because, my dad in particular pisses me off all the time, and the T's are the only reason I don't hit him (repetitively) and leave, lol. Plus haveing like one centipede about 6in. is nice, a cool thing to spoil. Also the occasional scorp.
Steve

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
I am 13 and had problems with my parents earlier! You guys should know! After months of begging mark (mebebraz) offered me one for free, i said yes. My dad couldnt reasist. so he said only 1. I now have 24, another order soon to come with 3!

P.reduncas
P.regalis (im ready)
C.brachycephaulus

All Slings

Thanks,

James

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah I know how that is. When I was living with my parents they wouldn't even let me have fish!! I was lucky that I got my ferret (besides their cats and dogs). Now I have a pretty extensive collection......

1 A. avic
1 P. murinus
1 B. smithi
1 A. geniculata
3 G. rosea
2 A seemani
1 Ball python
1 bearded dragon
4 various types of geckos
3 savanna monitors
2 desert spiny lizards
1 schneiders skink
2 red headed agamas
4 fish tanks full of fish
1 cat
1 dwarf bunny
2 parakeets
1 cockatiel
3 P. imperator
2 fiddler crabs
1 fireleg millipede
2 green iguanas
**more to come

And as for spouses not liking inverts.... everyone in the household here loves ALL the animals invert or not (including my 2 year old son who every time he sees me holding an animal says pet pet, except for the spiders which I wont let him hold yet.... then he just sings the itsy bitsy spider lol)

~~~Psycho~~~

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I was pretty lucky when I was living with my mom and stepdad. My mom didn't care what I had as long as I took care of it. So, I'd bring home animals and a month or so down the road my stepdad would find out about it. My mom supported it, so my stepdad just kind of went along with it.
I actually learned that from my mom. Up until 2 years ago we bred and showed Arabian horses and everytime we got a new horse my mom would just mingle it in with the rest of the herd. My stepfather never knew how many horses we had.

I've had:
horses
cats
dogs
geese
ducks
Nanday Conure (parrot)
fish
Ball Python
Degus
Rats
Mice
Gerbils
Rabbit

and now frogs and T's.

*note* I'm not endorsing these methods for anyone living with their parents....it is their house afterall. I was just lucky.