For those who've bred A. versicolor

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So about two months ago, I decided to let my MM versicolor cohabitate with my sub-adult female. She's still quite small, and I didn't really think that anything would come of it, but since I had the male, I figured I'd give it a shot. Well, after a week of furious webbing, I woke up this morning to find a sac. Yay! :D

The complication, however, lies in the fact that I will be out of the country from July 15-25th. From the breeding reports I've read it seems, assuming all goes well, I should expect them to molt into 2nd instar in about 45-60 days. Does this sound about right? I'm just trying to figure out the timing so I can decide what the heck I'm going to do with the sac while I'm away.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Let her keep it. By the time you get back they should be just about ready to bust out of the sac. Thats like 53 days which puts them right at or just before 2nd instar slings. And to help prevent hatching before you leave shoot for temps in the low to mid 70's that might hold them off a bit allowing you to get home.
Wow congrats on the sac! Guess your girl liked older men! {D

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had two successful sacs and currently have a 3rd in "cooking". Emergence happened around 54-56 days. I left the babies of the second sac with the female for about 10 days. Just make sure there's no way for the babies to get out of the container you have mom and the egg sac in. Good luck! John

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
How large and what type of an enclosure do you have them in M.U.? I have
a trio of them and I am getting ready to sex them soon. With any luck I
might have a pair I can breed. Mine are about 4" now. Congrats on the
sac by the way!!!;) ;) ;)

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know breeders who leave the babies with mom until they are quite large, like 5 th instar!!! Many species stick around mom for a while before they disperse.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay, that's what I was thinking. My temps are quite low anyway. I hate heat so I try to keep my apt at like 70-72 in the summer. Right now, mom is in a mid-sized critter keeper turned on it's end, definitely something babies could sneak out of if they tried. I have a 20 gallon tank that one of my snakes is in now with a very fine screen lid that latches. I wanted to move him anyway, so I think I'll end up putting her whole set up in that to contain any that get out while I'm away and leave my spider sitter with explicit instructions for what to do just in case.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At 4" if they aren't hooked out, I would think it's likely you may have females. My male hooked out very small...maybe 2 1/2 inches...though I don't doubt that there is still considerable variation in size at maturation.