For those considering getting a snake.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would like to draw your attention to these pics if you will.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Tleilaxu/000_2304.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Tleilaxu/000_2289.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Tleilaxu/000_2290.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Tleilaxu/000_2288.jpg

The point I am trying to make in case you have not grasped it by now is that snakes are amazing climbers and wonderful escape artists and get get a hold of the most improbable things and get into the most improbable locations. Also an escape can ruin the joys of snake keeping especially for a first timer. So please make sure the cage you get for your scaly friend is secure and if you have even the slightest doubts get a new one. And if you have the misfortune of having your snake escape you will need to buy a new cage as they remember how they got out of the first one. The best cages are one with tight latches or locks on the covers, even the smaller snakes are surprisingly strong and able to push up covers that have been weighted down.

I hope this helps and enjoy your new pet!

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How true that is! I've had snakes get out of glass tanks that were taller then they were long and there was nothing in the cage but them!!
One thing to point out though... That is realy not a good setup for a corn snake. Unless your herp room is alwais the right humidity. Otherwise your snake will get way to dry.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How true that is! I've had snakes get out of glass tanks that were taller then they were long and there was nothing in the cage but them!!
One thing to point out though... That is realy not a good setup for a corn snake. Unless your herp room is alwais the right humidity. Otherwise your snake will get way to dry.
She has a really huge "dunk dish" to use should she feel things are to dry, has never made use of it,(except to drink) besides my room where she is kept in meet the humidity requirements for corns, I have had no humidity related issues with her.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
And if you have the misfortune of having your snake escape you will need to buy a new cage as they remember how they got out of the first one
Not really, it just depends on how they got out. When my ball python escaped his 10g tank as a youngling (and promptly got scared and ran to hide in bed with me; woke me up at 6 AM on a Saturday in college, the doofus), all I had to do was put a couple books on the steel frame part of the aquarium lid. The latches weren't awesome and apparently he managed to get out through like half an inch of loose space (the lid was just slightly too big). The books, however, fixed that. :)

Now he's in a twenty long with two of those metal L-clips, one on each end, and not a snowball's chance in the Sahara of ever getting out of THAT one.

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The only times I've had snakes escape is when a lid wasn't closed properly. Sliding lids are absolutely wonderful because a snake can't just push its way out, however, it all depends on your ability to slide it all the way until it clicks closed! This was due to other relatives caring for the snakes (eastern milks). Although they've alwasy been found, usually in the kitchen. Luckily my mom is a good sport and catches them for me.

Although, once my ball python escaped (when she was very little). I think she was able to push her lid up, which I didn't think she could reach at all. We found her in a closet curled up in someone's shoe! Now she is also in a tank with a sliding lid.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
The only times I've had snakes escape is when a lid wasn't closed properly. Sliding lids are absolutely wonderful because a snake can't just push its way out, however, it all depends on your ability to slide it all the way until it clicks closed! This was due to other relatives caring for the snakes (eastern milks). Although they've alwasy been found, usually in the kitchen. Luckily my mom is a good sport and catches them for me..
That's why I always use locks on my snake tanks. I can see the lock being in place and know therefor that the doors are fully shut and can't be opened from the inside.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
inch of free space.. im not surprised he escaped hahaha!
Half an inch, although on re-examining the old enclosure again, it's more like 1/3". Mind you, that's not even enough space to get his HEAD through, much less the big fat body he already had. It remains a mystery. :?

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
remember if the head can kinda fit the whole thing can fit in the hole......that dosen't sound too good .........but its the truth

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i keep my snakes in professional terrariums with front sliding doors and locks. i've never had a single escape, but boy, are they persistant in trying!:eek:

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a 20 gallon long with just two locks, one on each end, is a weak enough lock that a persistent ball python can get out. They are a very strong snake.

My king and corns each have 6 latches. two on each end of the length ways and one on each end width ways.

My boa is in a large cage with an opening front door with two key locks.

Only escpae I ever had was my king snake when i was young and didnt close the lid properly. It was actually free for 3 months until I found it in the basement!