food

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi all,
i have a friend who has had two rosies for quite a few years and he tries to vary the diet. one of the food/prey items he gives to them is moths and they dont seem to do his Ts any harm at all so i tried some moths with my two and they went down a treat. obviously im not gonna do this every week but they seem to enjoy this new food , what do you think?

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,
I haven't tried moths with my terrestrials, but my versicolor sling absolutely loves hunting little moths down. I'll try it on my land-dwellers soon!
Joost

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Are these wild-caught moths or does he breed them himself/buy them from a pet store? We let some wax-worms sit around too long once and ended up with lots of moths. Never thought of feeding them to our spiders, though -- guess we will next time.

Cheers,
Dave

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Unless your moths are captive bred i wouldnt be doing that. Any external food items (not purchased in captivity/wild caught) are potential carriers of pesticides/poisons/ and disease. If you wanna risk it, its your spider.

-V

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I agree with you on the poison/pesticide front. Unless you are collecting them from an area which you can guarantee is completely natural, you are running a real risk. I would also not question the prevelence of disease in the wild-caught bugs -- but I would also question the prevelence of disease in store-bought ones. Anyone had any bad experiences with store-bought feeders? My only such experiences have been with feeder fish, which tend to be diseased unless you get them from a really reputable place.

Cheers,
Dave