Food Waste

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've fed my G. Rosea 4 crickets since I fist got it, but I havent seens any cricket parts anywhere in the terrarium to take out, is it possible she ate the whole body of the cricket or hid them or something?

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it really depends on the size of the crickets. I've noticed that smaller crickets get eaten entirely whereas with larger ones there is a white ball of stuff that is left behind. that's essentially what you're looking for if there are food remains left; a white ball

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh thanks, I think they were small crickets anyways. :)

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Back in the day when I still fed crix, only a few of mine ever left legs out for me to find. Some of them would even walk around the enclosure, picking up legs.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It also depends on the tarantula, both the species and the individual, and how hungry they are. My C. cyaneopubescens has never left any parts that I've seen since I got her in January '06, but every four or five months I have to go into my G. rosea's tank with the tongs and pick out some cricket leftovers.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, there has to be *something* left. you just aren't finding it. the spiders are not capable of consuming the whole thing. there will be at least bits of almost the whole exoskeleton scattered about.

they have a microfilter system that prevents them from ingesting stuff bigger than a few microns across, so any "solids" that are eaten have to be reduced to extremely small size

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well, I guess your T ate the crix completely, and don't worry searching parts of preys, almost all T's clean their tank and put the no eaten parts in some place. :D that you will see easily.

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd check around a bit. This morning when I was replacing my T's water, I found a bolus stuffed under the water dish. >_<