Food other than fruit flies for othodera ministralis l1 nymphs

Mantisfinatic13

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if there were any foods that i could feed my othodera ministralis l1 nymphs because i do not have any fruitflies availible. Would pinhead crickets or normal flies be ok?
Any help would be much much appreciate!

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Pinhead crickets yes.

By normal flies do you mean wild house flies?
I wouldn't use anything wild-caught but if you just mean a different species of feeder fly then sure.

Mantisfinatic13

Arachnopeon
Thank you soo much!
i currently have 5 green gardens (wild caught) which i feed wild flies and they seem to do fine (probs coz their wild caught) but i was wondering if captive bred (gonna breed em) Mantids can eat wild flies.
Thanks for the reply!

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
Thank you soo much!
i currently have 5 green gardens (wild caught) which i feed wild flies and they seem to do fine (probs coz their wild caught) but i was wondering if captive bred (gonna breed em) Mantids can eat wild flies.
Thanks for the reply!
No problem!

The reason I wouldn't use WC feeders is that - you never really know where they've been.
They could have eaten or come in contact with some pesticides or picked up a parasite from somewhere else.

I'm sure you're guys are doing great! but WC mantises are not immune to these risks either.
I would stop using WC prey all together, better safe than sorry. ;)

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Pinhead crickets are a decently sized nono unless kept in pristine conditions. They often eat their dead friends and will harbor bacteria that mantids could very easily die to.