food aggression in slings!?

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I decided to do a little experiment with this so i put a three week old cricket into my 1" brachypelma vagans's cage and it did a backflip legs swoashing about to get the criket, than i threw a cricket into my 5 yr.old adult she sat there anewaited ...
Dosn't this seeem starnge.
This also happens for avicularias avicularias and grammostela roseas.:? Stupid young ones

Going to go feed a pinkie mouse to my rosea, lol, it is her birthday she's 4yrs old and pregnant

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
kudos. i would just think taht maybe the adults just dont use as much energy, so they're not as hungry as the littler ones. that's funny, tho. i had thought you eant three weeks since death.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nothing sounds strange at all, the slings have to fight to take down the cricket. The older ones can just overpower it with their fangs.

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it looks funnyi think lol!!! you open th lid toss in a cricket close thelid and the container shakes you open the lid and the criket is in its mouth

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just did the same thing today with my 2 T. Apophysis slings, both got a somewhat bigger roach than the norm says it should (food item max body size) and they pounced them immediatly and are now enjoying dinner;)

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it looks funnyi think lol!!! you open th lid toss in a cricket close thelid and the container shakes you open the lid and the criket is in its mouth
Yeah your right, it is pretty entertaing especially when you get to watch it.

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah nvak, it is

but it is not hard to mss lol they are little devils to food they are quite the evill critters i love them

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
most of my rosea slings go after the prey like they are starved. the adult rosea i have wont move 2 inch's to get a cricket. she waits till they come to her and even then it sometimes takes a few passes before she takes em.
i think its cool when the slings wrap around the crickets like a face hugger on aliens. its definitely cool watching them hunt and subdue their prey.

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
okay,then my rosie will go off stalk her pray she is an adult weird *back away SLOWLY*

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nothing sounds strange at all, the slings have to fight to take down the cricket. The older ones can just overpower it with their fangs.
I think novak pretty much summed it all up, keeping in mind that each tarantula does have its own personally...it pretty much comes down to size of the tarantula.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
all the slings are aggressive eaters, maybe some more than other, it depends of the specie, but it is common in slings they are growing and being develop, in adults it is another history ;P

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my g. rosea sling is actually really calm about food. I've never even seen her with a cricket in her mouth, but all the ones I though in disappear, and she's nice and chubby, so I assume she's been eating them.

my a. avic on the other hand.... viscious little girl ;P

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my rosea sling eats pretty "agressive", as soon as i throw in a cricket it jumps on it:razz:

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea, I'd say it has a lot to do with prey size too. If you don't have to tackle something your size and wrestle it down and you can just grab and pull it to your mouth then why waste the energy?

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most of the T's I've raised has all mellowed out after hitting subadult or a size like that. It's like they pass a barrier where they are no longer in acute need of food for rapid growth.

And yeah, my Rosea is a stalker too! Slowest ever, but yes, she stalks around in the cage, and when the pray gets caught in a corner....tam tam taaa... ;)