Follow up to T room heating question

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for all the responses about the heating. I'm posting a new thread so my next question doesn't get lost...lol. When heating a T room what would be a good average humidity level for both terrestrial and arboreal Ts. I don't want it to be too high for one and too low for the others. The vid by jon3800 didn't really talk about humidity.

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are there any T's in particular you are asking about? I didn't see your other thread.

What I do is use WikiPets. If you already know the name of your T just google it and it will show you a lot of the basic info. To get info on my T I search for Singapore Blue WikiPets.

Cheers

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Thanks for all the responses about the heating. I'm posting a new thread so my next question doesn't get lost...lol. When heating a T room what would be a good average humidity level for both terrestrial and arboreal Ts. I don't want it to be too high for one and too low for the others. The vid by jon3800 didn't really talk about humidity.
Many vary, but I have kept my T's at between 60%-80%, depending on the species, etc. Some of my avics I have to mist in addition to a water dish.

All my slings are kept in individual vials/deli cups, but in the same rubber maid container with air vent holes and moist paper towels on the bottom. Helps keep the humidity up for those little guys to molt. I also mist them at least 1-2 times a week depending on their required humidity.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Are there any T's in particular you are asking about? I didn't see your other thread.

What I do is use WikiPets. If you already know the name of your T just google it and it will show you a lot of the basic info. To get info on my T I search for Singapore Blue WikiPets.

Cheers
yes, to avoid the thread police... use the search feature lol. ;)

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes, to avoid the thread police... use the search feature lol. ;)
=P Lol I was just showing a site that has a lot of info to help avoid the thread police. I think I'm on their wanted list. =(

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pretty much people that reply to your thread and tell you to search for the answer instead of answering your question =)

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pretty much people that reply to your thread and tell you to search for the answer instead of answering your question =)
Well I am new myself, only been here for a few months.

But I do see why the thread police exist. It's completely understandable to not want to search through 500,000 threads about what T should I get next, what temperature should I keep it, does my T need water, will my T play fetch!!!

It is rather easy to check the stickies, or just search this forum instead of making yet another thread, about the same subject, worded in a different manner.

After a while you begin to realize what the veterans of this board are talking about, well at least some realize. ;)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Well I am new myself, only been here for a few months.

But I do see why the thread police exist. It's completely understandable to not want to search through 500,000 threads about what T should I get next, what temperature should I keep it, does my T need water, will my T play fetch!!!

It is rather easy to check the stickies, or just search this forum instead of making yet another thread, about the same subject, worded in a different manner.

After a while you begin to realize what the veterans of this board are talking about, well at least some realize. ;)
WAIT, they don't play fetch?! :? lol

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea there are a ton of repeat posts and I'm sure most of the answers are easily found via google. I'm not sure about this forums search function though. You have to get pretty creative with your search key words to pull anything relative to your question up. I guess there are so many common search terms that most of your searches will pull up every post ever made.

As for me I'm still pretty new as well and I think most new people are excited about finding such an active community and along with getting their question answered they want to chat =) I know I do.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You're talking about the search police.
The thread police tell you to keep similar subjects all in one thread... particularly if you make a seperate thread on the exact same subject as another thread that's still on the front page that you made less than two hours before, on a forum that bumps threads to the top if you post in them.:}

A good average would be anything above... oh 65-70%, maybe?:?
Don't worry too much on the numbers, most Ts can adapt to different humidity, just keep an eye for any displaying humidity stress (climbing around excessively, or only staying around the water dish, for example) and deal with it accordingly.
As long as it doesn't get so low that you can feel the dryness in the air and your Ts have full water dishes (or dampened sub for small slings) with the appropriate blocking (or unblocking) of ventilation to keep steady humidity within their enclosures, you should be fine.

Be sure to take extra care when dealing with humidity sensitive Tarantulas like Theraphosa, as they aren't as adaptive to low humidity as most other Ts.

Also, read this thread.
...and if you can't find it, here's the post with links specifically about heating.

Also, yes, the search function is great. You just gotta learn how to use the damn thing. You can try using the advanced search, and specify a specific board to narrow things down.
Here's all the posts made by Pikaia (author of the "Tarantula Keeper's Guide" which you should try and find) with regards to humidity. Here are the ones about temperatures. You still need to do some digging as most of his more recent posts are him telling others to do what I just did (search for posts by him about temperature and humidity). Read the threads too, they are a good read.

Edit:
Oh, and DO NOT take info from online caresheets as fact, without doing some real research and verifying here first, ESPECIALLY wiki articles. Any yahoo can edit those, and will most likely have incorrect info and unecessary temp/humidity requirements.

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, yes, the search function is great. You just gotta learn how to use the damn thing. You can try using the advanced search, and specify a specific board to narrow things down.
:clap: I am just going to do the old +1...... :clap:

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry guys...didn't mean to get everyone worked up. I do try and use the search, but i always get a bunch of posts that are only relative to one word I used in my search description. It depends on how I word it and how detailed I want my answer. You're right...it takes some digging. Just like with any search engine. Sometimes you find a good link right away and sometimes you search on links that lead to links that lead to more links....lol. I don't like to bog the threads down with repeated subjects...at least I try not to.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Different ts, by their nature (where they come from) are genetically predisposed toward different humidity and temperature levels. I adjust humidity by either misting or overflowing the water-dish, or simply not providing water, only prey. Just depends on whether you're using a humidifier/dehumidifier in an enclosed spider room with a gauge to measure it, or whether you are dealing with them on an individual basis.