Fogger

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my dad's friend has one of those with his 9 inch L. parahybana, and it not only keeps the humidity up but also looks very cool.

Risto

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used one with one of my T. blondis for a while. I used it on a timer, and ran into a serious problem of the mist was too much for the cage. It soaks everything. Most timers run for 1 hour at a time. Within 1 hour of it running it will soak your T. so, you can build up the home higher than the fogger, so that the mist doesn't actually come downhill into your T's burrow and soak it. Problem with this is that the mist then constantly is on the substrate in one part of the cage. Before long there is a NASTY pool of stagnant water. It was extremely cool looking, but it did not work. It was an expensive failure. Actually, I returned the stuff, got instore credit and lived and learned. BTW, I tried it in tanks ranging from a 10 gallon to a 39 gallon. I tried it with foggers and ultrasonic humidifiers also. Anyway, heres a pic of one of the old setups that unfortunately didn't work..

Last edited:

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was doing a search on foggers and had found this thread.
Has anyone else tried a fogger on a timer to help keep the humidity up in a more humid dependet T?

Thrasher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the fogger i had threw water out like crazy, unless u have a LARGE container for it in ur tank, and u will need a pretty good sized tank for it, I had it in my emp tank but it didn't go well, inorder for it to make a cooool display effect is that u need at least 5 inches of a water dish. And you will need to keep the water filled every 5 mins.....the first week, it was cool, but 3-4 weeks later, you wouldn't even turn it on, because ur tank will most likely be soaked, but if ur T likes to swim, go for it. {D

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Hasn't it been pretty well decided around here that fogging/misting/spraying is generally ineffectual, and that it is best avoided in favor of soaking an area of the substrate? Just asking, seems like we still do two or three humidity threads a week, for whatever reason... :)

It has been my experience that humidity is usually far overstated, and that fogging/misting is ineffective, complicated, and a waste of time and money. If you MUST have more humidity for whatever reason (stop to think about why and whether or not you really need it), then substrate soaking is far more efficient and lasting.

Even if you COULD get it to work, there's no reason why you would WANT to...

Thrasher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mister Internet said:
Hasn't it been pretty well decided around here that fogging/misting/spraying is generally ineffectual, and that it is best avoided in favor of soaking an area of the substrate? Just asking, seems like we still do two or three humidity threads a week, for whatever reason... :)

It has been my experience that humidity is usually far overstated, and that fogging/misting is ineffective, complicated, and a waste of time and money. If you MUST have more humidity for whatever reason (stop to think about why and whether or not you really need it), then substrate soaking is far more efficient and lasting.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mister Internet said:

I agree on the humidity being a little over rated. With the onset of winter i am noticing that my humidity levels for my more moisture dependent T's are droppin down to 40/45% .
I still provide a large water dish and mist once a week. Thought about puttin more plastic over the top but dont wanna cut off air circulation to much, for reason's we all know about.
I was just curious as to what people thought of this little fogger set up for T's an the pros and cons others have experienced
All i am doing is tryin to come up with better ways to level out the humidity issue in the house. Looked at a better humidifier for the house too.

Scolopendra, i always use the search function, it's a very usefull and powerfull tool to a point.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
jbrd said:
I agree on the humidity being a little over rated. With the onset of winter i am noticing that my humidity levels for my more moisture dependent T's are droppin down to 40/45% .
I still provide a large water dish and mist once a week. Thought about puttin more plastic over the top but dont wanna cut off air circulation to much, for reason's we all know about.
I was just curious as to what people thought of this little fogger set up for T's an the pros and cons others have experienced
All i am doing is tryin to come up with better ways to level out the humidity issue in the house. Looked at a better humidifier for the house too.
All I know is that every time I tried misting religiously (when I first start seriously keeping inverts and followed some misinformed advice), I ended up with animals that were unhealthy, legs rotting off, mold EVERYWHERE, etc etc... I don't think an automatic mister would be any better. It will do it's job, but if you set it a little too high, over time it will waterlog your enclosure, as has been mentioned. This is not based on ACTUAL experience with an automatic mister specifically... this is just based on experience with misting in general.

Again, the best way to keep a contstant humidity is to get the water deep in the substrate so it can leach into the air... water sprayed into the air disappears rather rapidly, and in excess can cause mold, puddles, fungus, etc etc.

And yes, this was a good use of the search function... no snide remarks from the peanut gallery needed. :rolleyes:

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the input on the fogger idea. The wife just mentioned maybe some sort of irrigation type set up like we saw awhile back in the scorps section.
I need to come up with a way to better maintain a steady enviroment for our more needy T's.
Thanks again for the input im back off to the search function land again :D

mark poznak

Arachnopeon
i got an electric shock from one of those foggers just by putting my hand in the stream of water that bubbles out the top. i guess it was defective although on the box it recomends against touching this stream. i wanted to see why

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What are the consequences of high humidity( soaking substrate)??? What are the consequences of low humidity (relying on water dish)??? What is more detrimental to your tarantulas???? Go figure!!! I'm reading that a wet substrate leads potentially to infestations but low moisture may cause some dessication which can be corrected by a "dip in the dish". I'm voting for keeping the moisture down and if a problem becomes obvious deal with it then. I think that sometimes we stress ourselves & our Ts by worrying too much about moisture & temperature. REEEEEEELLLLLAAAAXXXXX and smell the tarantulas eerr.. ROSES:)