Fluid bubble around my avic avic's mouth

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I just noticed a fluid bubble around my avic avic's mouth. She's about 2.5" DSL. I've had her since mid December 2016. She's never molted in my care. She ate a cricket yesterday. Her behavior has been normal except I noticed her roaming around her enclosure today, so I went over to take a look. Then I saw the fluid. It honestly just looks like a water bubble. I've never seen this before. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Also some of you might take notice that she is in a different enclosure than before. I rehomed her into a smaller enclosure because I noticed she was having difficulty hunting in her larger enclosure. She's been in this enclosure for at least a month now.

Pics below. I tried to get detailed shots, but you cant see it as well in the pics as in person. Its the best I could get.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Then I saw the fluid. It honestly just looks like a water bubble. I've never seen this before. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?
If it's clear, I would not worry about it. Clear fluid around the mouth is likely just tarantula drool. I've seen my Avics drool -- especially if they have just had a drink -- when grooming themselves.

Your last pic shows a grooming posture (palps folded in front of the mouth with the jaws moving).

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Yeah, looks to me like she's drooling or had a drink and wanted to bring it with her :D

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the reassurances everyone. :) I won't even say the terrible things I was thinking could be wrong with her. She seems fine today.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
That cage looks pretty small, I'd upgrade.
I'm so confused as to what size she should be in. The one I had her in was too big because she wasn't hunting. As soon as I put her into this smaller enclosure she started to web it up and she started to hunt again. She is only 2.5" or maybe 3.0" dls if she really stretches out big. This enclosure is 7" tall and the sides are 4" in width. Is this really too small for her? I think the pics are misleading due to angles and such because I was just trying to get good shots of her mouth.

Edit: Also, if it is too small, what is an appropriate size for a 2.5" - 3.0" A. Avic? If I rehomed her to this a month ago, is it too soon to rehome her again? Isn't that too much stress on her? Her other enclosure was 13x10x9 and it was too much for her.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'm so confused as to what size she should be in. The one I had her in was too big because she wasn't hunting. As soon as I put her into this smaller enclosure she started to web it up and she started to hunt again. She is only 2.5" or maybe 3.0" dls if she really stretches out big. This enclosure is 7" tall and the sides are 4" in width. Is this really too small for her? I think the pics are misleading due to angles and such because I was just trying to get good shots of her mouth.

Edit: Also, if it is too small, what is an appropriate size for a 2.5" - 3.0" A. Avic? If I rehomed her to this a month ago, is it too soon to rehome her again? Isn't that too much stress on her? Her other enclosure was 13x10x9 and it was too much for her.
what do you mean by hunting? if shes not in premolt and theres crickets running around 24h after you put them there. try dropping the prey onto her webs instead.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
what do you mean by hunting? if shes not in premolt and theres crickets running around 24h after you put them there. try dropping the prey onto her webs instead.
I mean she hadn't eaten in at least a month. I didn't think she was in premolt. I put her into the smaller enclosure and she started to eat again and has also webbed it up. She barely webbed a wisp in the other container and just seemed like the size of it was stressing her. That's why I downsized. Do you really think 7" x 4" is too small?

Also I've had most of my Ts molt with me now, but she hasn't. She worries me a little more than the others in general just being an avic and I'm pretty new to the hobby. I just want to get it right.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I mean she hadn't eaten in at least a month. I didn't think she was in premolt. I put her into the smaller enclosure and she started to eat again and has also webbed it up. She barely webbed a wisp in the other container and just seemed like the size of it was stressing her. That's why I downsized. Do you really think 7" x 4" is too small?

Also I've had most of my Ts molt with me now, but she hasn't. She worries me a little more than the others in general just being an avic and I'm pretty new to the hobby. I just want to get it right.
maybe not to that cage, but i would find something a bit bigger, and with a place she can hide.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
maybe not to that cage, but i would find something a bit bigger, and with a place she can hide.
I'll for sure try to find one that's a bit bigger. Maybe another trip to the container store will do the trick. What do you think is an appropriate size for her?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If the T is 2.5-3 inches that 7 inch enclosure is fine for it IMO. It double the leg span and they normally make a web funnel and don't roam around much like a terrestrial T does. I usually add more webbing point to my enclosures but you should be fine.

If you had her for a while and she hasn't molted she might be setting up to do so. Her abdomen looks pretty plump in the photos I wouldn't worry about her eating as long as she is plump and has water.