Fluffy;The Ultimate not so Spineless Wonder

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On loan to the Columbus Ohio Zoo from a private owner,at 24 feet long and weighing 303 pounds, Fluffy the Retic is the largest living snake in captivity in the world.Saw it today.Sorry about the sucky pic tho.:wall:

Attachments

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmmm i saw a green anaconda in a truck when i was a 17 or so. it was a carnaival truck and looking back i feeel real sorry for taht snake but it had to be over 20 feet long and was at least twice as fat as that retic. They advertised it as 30 feet and over 400 pounds... i doubt that was accurate tho.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Hey, I remember seeing one of those travelling snake shows too when I was a teenager! I was probably around 14 years old. I was pretty thrilled at the time, but like you, in retrospect I feel sorry for the snakes they displayed. I haven't seen one of those traveling type of shows in years. They used to set up in department store and mall parking lots, sometimes independently and sometimes with carnivals.

I also remember one going around with the supposed car in which Bonnie and Clyde were shot. I was even younger then, and don't remember a whole lot about it, but now I realize that it's pretty unlikely that it was the real thing. Again, I thought it was pretty neat.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: ahh i luv those HUGE retics,beautiful! when i used to work at the exotic petshop we had a retic that was about 18'and very thick, that's big for a petshop to have,her name was "mongo" she eventually went to a sanctuary,which was good,she's proberly alot bigger now,it was a while ago.

SPJ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's actually Fluffy II.
The original Fluffy is a normal retic. This is her baby which is a tiger retic.

Both Fluffy and Fluffy II are owned by Bob Clark in Oklahoma.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool pic, I love how even monster snakes can coil so tight and make you wonder how they can fit into such small spaces.

This thread reminds me of a day in Honors Biology. My teacher asked an honest question "What was the longest snake, anyway?" And I ring out with "It was a reticulated python that was shot in 1912 in Indonesia, It measured 32feet 9inches." Everyone in the room is gave me a glaring "How the hell do you know this?" look.{D ~ Rex

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This thread reminds me of a day in Honors Biology. My teacher asked an honest question "What was the longest snake, anyway?" And I ring out with "It was a reticulated python that was shot in 1912 in Indonesia, It measured 32feet 9inches." Everyone in the room is gave me a glaring "How the hell do you know this?" look.{D ~ Rex
A simlar thing happened to me. But in my case the teacher put out the info and i corrected him, because he had said it was 30 feet.

Also is it just me are does that enclosure look a little small. May just be the angle. But at the zoo nearer my home they have a Retic in a enclosure that is about 10 or more feet long, maybe 4 deep, and maybe 6 or so high

Last edited:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Hm. Impressive!

So what do they eat? Do the keepers go to the local animal shelter every month to pick up the food?

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A little off topic but I have a friend who also has a snake named "Fluffy". I was at his facility and he asked me if I wanted to meet Fluffy and needless to say I was more than a bit surprised when I looked into Fluffy's cage and there was an adult albino spectacled cobra striking at me on the other side of the glass :p I think he just gets a kick out of that reaction every time someone meets "Fluffy" LOL