Floridian Tarantula

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Does anyone have any information on where in Florida the B. vagans have established themselves? I know it's in an orange grove that's resonably near me, so I want to go hunting ;) I'll catch a few for whoever helps me figure out where I'm to go :}

-Bryan

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
From what I remember hearing, it was in the Ft. Pierce area of Fl. That is if I'm remembering correctly. If I am correct, you can send my T's to:

;P

Scott

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'll be expecting one in the mail myself :D
No, really, it's my guess it's on private property, and difficult to get permission to access.
I think that at one point they tried to eradicate them, and then realized that they did not seem to be impacting the native floura or fauna to any extent...and now seem content to let them be.
This is what I've heard in bits and pieces from a bunch of different sources.

G

GQ.

Check out this website

There is an article in pdf format at www.herper.com/Introduced.html. The pdf is titled Tarantulas in Florida. Excellent article. The article is called "The Mexican Redrump, Brachypelma vagas(Araneae: Theraphosidae), an Exotic Tarantula Established in Florida, G.B. Edwards and Kenneth L. Hibbard.) The article doesn't say exactly where to find them, but I thought the article was worth mentioning. Good luck!