Florida Scorps?

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Today, as my dad and I were driving up north, he started talking about his childhood as dad's usually do. While he was remenising about going down to Florida to see his grandparents he mentioned all the animals he used to see around there. He said he used the see little red scorps (2" at most) running all over the sand dunes, he and his brother used to catch them and eventually let them go. They always gave a threat display, but he was never stung. I was wondering what species this might be, any ideas? Thanks ~ Rex

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Depends on what part of florida you're talking about. Northern florida/souther georgia border is home to C. hentzi. Further south in florida there are c gracilis.

Not sure where he saw dunes in florida though, i was born there and the only dunes ive ever seen are on the beaches :confused:

This is a good resource for native US species:

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure where he saw dunes in florida though, i was born there and the only dunes ive ever seen are on the beaches
I think there was alot of construction going on and alot of earth was being moved around, so there were mounds of sand "as big as a house" in my dad's grandparent's neiborhood. He was in northern Florida, so I guess it was C.hentzi. Thanks ~ Rex

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
C hentzi can appear somewhat orangish, so I can see how his memory would recall them as "red". Do you might me asking specifically what part of florida? I grew up there...

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, well my dad just left for a week, so I can ask him when he gets back, if you don't mind waiting. I'm pretty sure he used to go down to the north eastern part of the state. While he was there, the construction of canals was always present. Hope that helps ~ Rex